Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 13 (10,346 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp pavilion slimline s3110.uk, no vga input signal, monitor going to sleep, beeps

please help i know absolutely nothing about the workings of computers, i turned it on yesterday and the tower does one beeep then a beeeeeeeeeeeep repeatedly and anoyingly, there is also no screen on monitor just a short display telling me there is no vga input signal and then monitor goes to sleep, i have tested the monitor with my brothers tower and it works fine so i now have no clue what so ever as to what to do next, as i cant even reach start up screen i can not do any hardware tests, it has only been 24 hours and this is killing me! i need internet back im lost without, plllllllllllllllleeeeease does anyone have any ideas before i go insane !
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: hp pavilion slimline s3110.uk, no vga input signal, monitor going to sleep, beeps

Hi, what you wanna do first is take out the ram (memory) sticks and put them back in. Re-seating your ram sticks may fix your problem. If you also have an agp/pci/or pci-express video card then you can re seat that as well.

The ram sticks are green circuit borads which chips on them in sizes of 3in by 1in (roughly). They are held down in they're spot in the motherboard by white tabs on both sides. 

Try these steps below after you read and see the diagram with the pictures on page 7 through 9 from the link below.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf

1) Unplug the power cable from the back of the pc, unscrew the thumb big screws from the back of the pc tower, and then pull back the side panel (the side of the pc comes off).

2) Then lay the pc onto the side, with the open side upwards so you can look down in it, and locate the memory slots. Remember to look for the white tabs holding them places.

3) Once you locate them, they're usually 1, 2, or 4 of them sticks in total, do the following step to each stick, one at the time.

First, push away the white tabs holding a ram stick, and the ram stick will snap out and you can pull it upwards towards you. Then simply put it back, push downwards (not too hard, careful not to damage it or the board) and then the white tabs will click in on each side. Be sure you put the ram stick the same way you took it out, don't flit it as it only goes in one way.

4) After you do this for all ram sticks, check inside the pc to make sure cables are not loose and connected as they should be and then, put back the side panel and screws, and turn on the pc and see what happens. 

Below is a guide on how to locate the ram sticks. Hope this helps.

View solution in context
Associate Dean
Message 2 of 13 (10,298 Views)

Re: hp pavilion slimline s3110.uk, no vga input signal, monitor going to sleep, beeps

Sounds like a memory problem.
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" below to say “Thanks”!
I am a volunteer posting here on my spare time.
Student
Message 3 of 13 (10,066 Views)

Pavillion Slimline "no input signal"

I bought my Slimline Desktop PC in June 2007. Always seemed that it ran slow. Yesterday I tried turning it on, power to both the tower and monitor came on. Box appears showing monitor status as VFA and DVI "no input signal". Another box appears stating the monitor is going to sleep. The power button on the monitor then fades to sleep mode. Have checked all connections and everyting looks fine. HP won't tell me anything over the phone & I'm not paying for a "diagnosis" call with HP's tech support when I can't even get the system to start up. Any suggestions here before I take it in to a local repair service? This WILL probably be the last time I buy an HP if this is the way their products perforn after a very light use over 2 years. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Top Student
Message 4 of 13 (9,905 Views)

Graphics card failure - I had justthe same this week. The only beep codes for 3000 series refer to graphics card failures.

My Nvidia 7300 fan had siezed totally - I think the bearings had worn out - so I replaced with an Nvidia 8400 (change the back plate over) and all now up and running.

H.

Tutor
Message 5 of 13 (9,761 Views)

If you have a add on video card more then likely it is your PCI-e slot, mine has quit working 2 times on my s3120n. If you dont, more then likely is still is your mb, mine did the samething. HP has repelaced my mb 3 times and the PCI-e slot died again.

Thes models are junk. I think it is because they run very very hot.

Associate Professor
Message 6 of 13 (9,759 Views)

Hi, what you wanna do first is take out the ram (memory) sticks and put them back in. Re-seating your ram sticks may fix your problem. If you also have an agp/pci/or pci-express video card then you can re seat that as well.

The ram sticks are green circuit borads which chips on them in sizes of 3in by 1in (roughly). They are held down in they're spot in the motherboard by white tabs on both sides. 

Try these steps below after you read and see the diagram with the pictures on page 7 through 9 from the link below.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf

1) Unplug the power cable from the back of the pc, unscrew the thumb big screws from the back of the pc tower, and then pull back the side panel (the side of the pc comes off).

2) Then lay the pc onto the side, with the open side upwards so you can look down in it, and locate the memory slots. Remember to look for the white tabs holding them places.

3) Once you locate them, they're usually 1, 2, or 4 of them sticks in total, do the following step to each stick, one at the time.

First, push away the white tabs holding a ram stick, and the ram stick will snap out and you can pull it upwards towards you. Then simply put it back, push downwards (not too hard, careful not to damage it or the board) and then the white tabs will click in on each side. Be sure you put the ram stick the same way you took it out, don't flit it as it only goes in one way.

4) After you do this for all ram sticks, check inside the pc to make sure cables are not loose and connected as they should be and then, put back the side panel and screws, and turn on the pc and see what happens. 

Below is a guide on how to locate the ram sticks. Hope this helps.

Tutor
Message 7 of 13 (9,758 Views)

I havent tried this yet, not with this 1 month old MB that HP replaced but I know what the ram is and how to install it, I've built a few computers myself,  but are you trying to say I have to spend the rest of the time I own this computer resetting my ram?

That just tells me what I already stated about these systems is correct.

Associate Professor
Message 8 of 13 (9,757 Views)

Hi AzPaul, my reply was for tybag, thinking it could be a possible solution for his no boot beep issue. 

Now, as for your motherboard needing to be replaced 3 times i'm not sure what to say. I know that the slimlines get quite hot because they're more packed inside and there isn't many intake/exhaust fans to help circulate the air.

I always recommend building your own pc. And rather then getting a slimline get a mid tower/full tower hp case computer as they tend to have less motherboard failures than the slimlines.

Also, I remember roughly a year ago, there were a bunch of hp boards with a specific name that needed replacements for no boot or no video (no beeps present) and idk if you happened to have that exact kind but I do know hp replaces those with working boards.

Now, if even the replacement fail, then i would consider not getting a slimline again in the future. 

Tutor
Message 9 of 13 (9,755 Views)

Well HP keeps putting the same crappy MB and this post is the exact reason HP extented the warranty on these machines, they just keep putting the same MB in and it keeps doing the samething.

Which tells me maybe I should not buy HP let alone the slimeline models, when they know something is bad and they simply repair it temporarly untill the warranty ends and your left with a computer that will not boot 6 months down the road.

I'm tired of sending my computer back to HP.

So untill HP makes this right and fixes these computers correctly with different MBs or replaces them I will be a thorn in their side.

Student
Message 10 of 13 (8,560 Views)

Can somebody help me i pushed sleep now Its saying no input signal Smiley Frustrated

I dont know how to fix it pleas help me i dont know what to do .

I tried my computers on the other computers but its no signal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation