cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
maygil0306 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp touchsmart300 pc shuts down, the screen is black, power button is lighted but not responding?

HP Touchsmart300 PC with operating system Windows 7.

The PC shuts down even when active. The power shuts down although the power button is still lighted. It does not respond to touch, keyboard, or mouse. The only way to get it back on is by unplugging the power and then restarting windows. I already checked Sleeping Mode and Power Options in control panel, but no problem there.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
45,054 40,720 4,409 11,462
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp touchsmart300 pc shuts down, the screen is black, power button is lighted but not responding?

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂

@maygil0306 wrote:

HP Touchsmart300 PC with operating system Windows 7.

The PC shuts down even when active. The power shuts down although the power button is still lighted. It does not respond to touch, keyboard, or mouse. The only way to get it back on is by unplugging the power and then restarting windows. I already checked Sleeping Mode and Power Options in control panel, but no problem there.

Please identify your notebook/pc properly

Look at the base/rear/side of the notebook/pc at the barcoded sticker.

Post item number 2 as seen on the following example of an HP notebook's barcoded sticker. The barcode on your HP product may be slightly different in appearance, but will still have the important information needed for us to help you.  

###Do not post the serial number of your product as it is private and considered to be personal information.###
c01931836.gif
Post the installed operating system version (state whether it is 32 or 64-bit ) and the CPU as an AMD or Intel product

Not posting all of the information as requested could delay our responses and slow troubleshooting of the issue that led you to author a thread.

Is your notebook/PC still within its warranty period?

Kind regards,
erico

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed.

Take a moment of your time, as we volunteers have given you some of ours in trying to help you resolve your issue, to return to your thread to let us know if we helped you or not.
0 Kudos
noahinflorida Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can totally empathize with your situation, as I too had the same exact issue with my HP TouchSmart 300. In fact, I have been dealing with this problem off and on for the last year. I have worked with HP tech support on numerous occassions. I have had them remotely control my computer and restore it to factory settings. I have reformatted my hard drive 2 or 3 times. I have tried multiple anti-virus software programs, removed anything that might cause a conflict with the operating system, etc. Basically, nothing was working for an extended period of time. And, of course HP tech support as this point to me, was essentially useless in resolving the problem.

It seemed like every few weeks it would start shutting down again. I started researching potential causes and discovered that I was not alone, in terms of the same issue with this computer. From what I read, in many forums like this, it seemed like the probable cause had to do with either the power supply, or overheating. I felt like the problem might be due to the system overheating, so I removed one of the back covers, which worked for a short while. I then removed a second cover, which helped for a few days. I even placed a 20 inch box fan behind the unit to try and cool it down (which still remains in place). However, my computer would just keep shutting down over and over again. 

Finally, as I was long ago out-of-warranty, I just decided to completely open-up the back of the unit and poke around a bit. I cleaned out all of the system fans, reseated my memory cards, and ran the computer for a few days with all of the covers removed from the back. It would still keep shutting down. However, I did notice that the heat sink and attached copper tubing were pretty hot (even with the 20 inch fan blowing directly on them). So, I removed the heat sink apparatus from atop the CPU. I discovered that the thermal gel was pretty much long gone, and what was left of it was not so evenly applied. So, I ran over to the nearest computer store, and purchased a tube of thermal gel (for about eight bucks). I found some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs in the house, and proceeded to use those to carefully remove the old dried-up thermal gel from the top of the CPU chip, as well as the heat sink plate (if that is the right word for the part). I applied a fresh even layer of thermal gel to the top of the cpu and placed the heat sink back on top. I turned the system on, and it has been running smoothly ever since (about 2 weeks without a single shut-down). I have even noticed an increase in performance. The top of the heat sink is noticeably cooler to the touch now.

I realize that your situation may be different, but if your system is out-of-warranty, you might consider this option. It seems to have resolved my problem. I will repost an ocassional update if anyone is interested, thanks.    

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45,054 40,720 4,409 11,462
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds as if it could be shutting down because of heat. Identify your touchsmart  PC properly so I see if there is a BIOS update for this issue.

regards,

erico

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed.

Take a moment of your time, as we volunteers have given you some of ours in trying to help you resolve your issue, to return to your thread to let us know if we helped you or not.
0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
1,150 1,133 64 129
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello maygil0306,

What is the status of your problem? Was it resolved? Have u tried to add more termal greese?

You can try to reseat the CPU, see if that works for you. Basically, just take the CPU out of the socket check the pins just to see if they are ok, and insert it back.

See if the issue is now resolved. Let me know.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation