cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ozarkbill55
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

icons on desk top have all changed to music note and video film strip.

HP Recommended

I was playing with my photos yesterday and all the sudden I gor a error "windows media player encountered a problem while downloading the file" all of my desk top icons changed to the music note and video strip and when I click on any of them they only bring up the error message with a viedo clip spot. I have troubleshoot, even tryed recovery. Its been a day and a half. Help me please.

4 REPLIES 4
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What do you mean by tried recovery?  What PC and operating system are you using?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ozarkbill55
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cudos and big dave. I am not a guru or a phd but I have a HP with NVIDIA, Windows 7, and ATHLON 2.

it is just what I said, every time I try to do anything it  pops up windows media player encountered a problem downloading the file, with another movie box with "want to play it again etc. I have even tryed to restore back to a week ago and I can not do that. what do I do now

Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,418 1,811 5,053
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you say "restore" do you mean using Windows system recovery?  If yes, do you have Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus?  If yes, Norton will make sytem recovery fail unless you make some changes to a "tamperproof" setting. You can find that under the MISC settings and then Product settings.  Once that is turned off and saved then disable Norton via the Task bar icon and now try using a system restore point from a unknown good date.  You may have to check the box to show other restore points so that you can make a choice.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z590, i7-11700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
ozarkbill55
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PROBLEM FIXED

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation