Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Teacher
67 1 10
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

input signal out of range message when turning on pc - hp s2031 monitor

Hello,

I have an HP S2031 Monitor which I got a few weeks ago.  After I got a new video / graphics card for the computer (since the original card could not handle 1600 x 900 (60hz) things look great all around.  However, I just noticed that when I first turn on the monitor and pc - before windows actually starts there is a message stating that the input signal is out of range   Change Settings to  1600 x 900 -  60Hz.    

Now I do not recall seeing this message when the original video card was in the pc ~ but I also don't always stay right there while windows is starting up so I can't say for certain that the message was not there with the original video card.

I did go to the menu section on the monitor and the settings are set for 1600 x 900 - 60hz and I also right clicked on the desktop and in the display made sure that the settings are also set correctly there and everything is set correctly.  

This is not an issue unless I am trying to access the bios.    I did try going into the bios to make see what kind of options are there for the video configuration and the only options there in Video Configuration are AGP Aperture Size (64mb); Primary Video Adapter (AGP); AGP Hardware Detected - AGP Card. Only problem was that by the time I got this far into the bios the monitor went to sleep on me.  Which makes it difficult to get out of the bios and start the pc normally since the monitor is going to sleep on me.

Does anyone have any idea as to why I am getting that message about the input signal and how do I fix it as well as how do I stop the monitor from going to sleep while I am in the bios?

I am running Windows XP Professional with sp3 and all the updates and the monitor is the HP S2031.  The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 and the monitor is connected to the pc with the DVI port of the monitor since this card only has 2 dvi ports on it. I did have an older card in the pc (which has the VGA port) but it could not display the 1600 x 900 with that card (and I am not sure that the message was there with the old card since most of the time I do not just sit there waiting for everything to turn on)

I have not noticed the message up until today and nothing has changed - other than the new video card and that has been in the pc for about 2 weeks now.

Any assitance would be very much appreciate.

6 REPLIES
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1637 64 272
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Before starting Windows, there's normally a boot-up screen and/or bios screen. This screen normally is about 800 x 600.
Please check if your card supports this resolution.
Else I think it's a support case for the card manufacturer.

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Provost Provost
Provost
45223 4256 10772
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

As a troubleshooting step put the original video card back in to see what it does.

regards,

erico

You can say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Teacher
Teacher
67 1 10
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the suggestion,  I did do that after posting the question here and there was no problem then.  I then put the new card in and the problem was there again, so I tried cleaning the connecting point and reseating it and the problem is still there.  

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
45223 4256 10772
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK. The troubleshooting confirms that the new video card has issues.

What is the brand and model number of the new video card?

regards,

erico

You can say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Teacher
Teacher
67 1 10
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello,

So sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you but things have been pretty busy around here (between getting hit with a foot of snow before Halloween and loosing power for a week still getting back to normal)

Anyway, as for the video card - it is a ASUS NVidia GeForce FX 5200 card which has 2 DVI Connectors to it.  As per the information on the card  

Expansion / Connectivity Compatible Slots 1 x AGP Connectivity Interfaces

1 x S-video input - 4 pin mini-DIN ( with adapter ), 1 x S-video output - 4 pin mini-DIN ( with adapter ), 1 x composite video input - RCA ( with adapter ), 1 x composite video output - RCA ( with adapter ), 2 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI, VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( with adapter )

Anyway, I tried plugging the monitor into the other DVI port and it is now working just fine.  I guess that the one port is bad or is not meant for the plug that comes with this monitor.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.  They were so Very Much Appreciated.

Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
430 20 106
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I would suggest contacting the support line per the following thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Monitors-and-video/New-HP-Pavilion-PC-Can-t-Change-Monitor-Reso...

-DM  (a long-time HP employee)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation