Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion desktop 570-p020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having trouble to install a evga geforce gt 610  graphic card into my hp pavilion desktop 570-p020. After I install the graphic card and connected a hdmi cable between graphic card and mnitor then turn on my computer, nothing shows up on monitor.  The monitor only shows a message that says "no cable connected".  Another time, I also disabled my on board video through device manager first then install the graphic card, turn on the computer same thing happened.  It seem my computer only works on the on board video.  Any suggestion that  will make installing graphic card to work will be appreciated. Thank you all.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Take a look at this guide from HP and follow step 6. See if this helps:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c00007413

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

For my hp computer, I wasn't able to disable the on board video through bios. I had to go to control panel and device manager then right click the on board video to disable it. Even then,  after I installed the graphic card and turn on the computer, there is no output signal from the graphic card or on board video port. After I pull out the graphic card, with on board video still disabled, I plug the monitor back to on board video port and it still works. Finally, I called hp technical support.  After a conversation with a technicaian in a real person and an online chat with a remote technician, I was told that the two graphic cards (both EVGA Nvidia Geforce series that I purchase from a third party from Amazon.com and Ebay.com) might not becompatible with the motherboard of my hp computer.  The Hp warranty only covers the computer and any component purchased from Hp and Hp can't guarantee the compatibility between their product with anything purchased from other sources and by installing any component not purchased from Hp would void the entire warranty on the computer. I was also advised that in the future, I should buy a computer with every components preinstalled to ensure the compatibility. In this way, if anything goes wrong, the company who sold the computer would be fully liable to solve any problem.  Lessons learned.

HP Recommended

Hi William

The PC has to be prepped to run a different graphics card. HP introduced this PC for sale in 2017 so it has the following items required to run a discrete graphics card:

1. UEFI BIOS (this is not required for the 610 but allows installing 700, 900, and 1000 Nvidia cards).

2. A 300 watt power supply. The 610 requires a minimum 300 watt power supply.

3. PCIe x16 slot. HP does not specify what version. It should be  the latest (3.0).

To get the card to initialize requires you to enter the BIOS. In Security settings you must disable Secure boot and then enable Legacy boot. Restart the system and enter the on screen four digit code to confirm.

Now uninstall the current graphics drivers.

Shut down. Install the 610. It should now give you video.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi, Now I need to know which key  I need to press upon starting the computer to enter bios.

HP Recommended

Hi William

Power on your PC, tap "ESC" key.

Then select "Setup" from the Startup Menu to get to the BIOS.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi, I was able to get into bios but I can not find the security setting. I found the legacy boot under the boot menu but my computer would not allow me to disable it. I also found something called secure boot configureation. When I tried to disable it, a message showed up on the screen saying if disabled, my computer might not start properly. Now, I don't what to do.

HP Recommended

Hi William

You have to first disable Secure Boot, then enable Legacy Boot.

Exit and save changes.

Please see this HP Support document on this.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi, since I don't know your name, I don't know how to call you in proper manner. Now, my desire for installing a new graphic card somehow has diminished and I am in a state of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'. I can say that I have above average knowledge regarding a pc hardware and at the beginning, I just want to see if I can install a graphic card successfully. Since I use my pc primarily for web browsing and watching moveies, I decided to put off my project for a while. If I ever come cross wanting to install a graphic card again, I certainly will follow the instruction that you gave to me. I would like to this opportunity to express a great appreciation for all the help you gave to me. Thank you very much. I know I might be asking too much but if there is  any way that you can give me your email address so, I can contact your directly for any question that I might have in the future. Sincerely. 

a computer enthusiast

HP Recommended

Hi William

You are welcome.

Send me a forum Private Message when you want to upgrade the graphics card.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.