Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP_John Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

is pavilion elite e9107c compatible with windows 10 ?

Existing hard drive is failing. Clone attempts failing.  Can I purchase a new hard drive to load Windows 10 and still see adequate performance? Existing HW:  Intel Core 2 quad Q8200  at 2.33 GHz, 8 GB memory, ATI Radeon HD 4350 video card. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7956 630 2838
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @HP_John

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Welcome !

HP does not officially support Windows 10 on your PC. There are no official drivers for Windows 10 (only for Win Vista & Win 7). The PC is not officially tested for Win 10 (was produced long before Win 10 was on the horizon)  and no guarantee can be provided.

After replacing the faulty HDD, if you want you may experience with 90 day free trial verson of Windows 10 Enterprise - you have nothing to loose to see if Windows 10 will work (at all or well) on this PC. Download and free registration:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

If you decide to install Win 10, you should update it and its drivers after installation. Here is how:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

>> http://www.howtogeek.com/98465/htg-explains-when-do-you-need-to-update-your-drivers/

If Windows 10 is not your choice or does not work well, you will have to purchase HP Recovery media (several discs) that will help you restore your Windows, drivers, etc...  You can purchase original HP Recovery media (with Win Vista) from here :

>> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-17792-recovery-kit-av973av-for-hp-model-number-e9107c.aspx

Hope this helps. Provide feedback and let  me know if something is not clear. Don't hesitate to post again

**** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or show appreciation
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
HP_John Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the Computer Surgeons Vista disks.  I had not thought about the driver updates, etc. that would come with the Windows 10 route.  Do I need to create a set of Windows recovery disks if I have these Vista disks?

I will insert the new empty hard drive, install the Vista disks, and try to reinstall the other SW on the old system. From what I remember, many of the programs worked only after I spent a great deal of time on the phone with their tech support. The old machine will be used for photo editing and email.

Do most people use the Microsoft backup software, or are there popular third party programs? The WD external drive I purchased has a free WD version of Acronis.

Thanks again ... within a few days the disks should arrive, and hopefully the old computer will have a new life!!!

- John

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
7956 630 2838
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HP_John wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the Computer Surgeons Vista disks.  I had not thought about the driver updates, etc. that would come with the Windows 10 route.  Do I need to create a set of Windows recovery disks if I have these Vista disks?

I will insert the new empty hard drive, install the Vista disks, and try to reinstall the other SW on the old system. From what I remember, many of the programs worked only after I spent a great deal of time on the phone with their tech support. The old machine will be used for photo editing and email.

Do most people use the Microsoft backup software, or are there popular third party programs? The WD external drive I purchased has a free WD version of Acronis.

Thanks again ... within a few days the disks should arrive, and hopefully the old computer will have a new life!!!

- John

You are most welcome, John  @HP_John  :)

If you have the discs and if they work fine, you do not need to create HP Recovery discs because you will have them. However, you may want to create other discs (images) after the computer is fully installed and evern later in case you decide to restore to to that specific date.

I am not sure which backup software is the most popular and most used. But I use CloneZilla - free opensource and very effective > http://clonezilla.org/

You can use it to create an entire backup of your HDD (e.g. system image). You can later use this image to restore your entire system to the condition it was at the time of the backup creation - similar to Acronis system images.  Here is the images creation tutorial >> http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image

I know it might look difficult at first point due to lack of pictures but it is very easy once you do it.

Cheers.

**** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or show appreciation
**** Mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation