cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
iridium1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

just upgraded to Windows 10 on e9280t - need graphics card recommendations

Elite e9280t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I just upgraded my HP e9280t to Windows 10 and everything works except the display. The computer is connected to 2 Dell s2415h monitors. The problem is that after upgrading to Windows 10, both displays have an awful 3/4 inch black border all around the periphery.

Investigating the problem on the web, it looks like my graphics card (ATI HD 4800) is obsolete and no longer supported with updated drivers or Catalyst Control Center. So, I assume I need to buy a new graphics card. But, reading the forums, it seems there are many variables to consider (PSU, size / shape of card, PCI express?) etc.

I'd appreciatet some recommendations for a graphics card that will work on my system and at least drive the 2 monitors I have now. I don't do heavy, intense gaming and so don't need the latest and greatest card. Am happy to upgrade the PSU, if needed and would appreciate a recommendation for that too.

HP Pavilion Elite e9180t PC
•  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.67GHz)
• 9GB DDR3 [4 x 2 GB, 1 x 1 GB]
• 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• ATI Radeon HD 4800 [2 DVI adapters]

• current PSU is 460W

Thank you all!

Charles

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 20
Level 20
111,856 102,033 16,005 24,586
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try the W7 graphics driver from your PC's support page?

I am running W10 on much older AMD graphics cards than the HD4800 (such as the HD2400) and they work just fine.

ATI Radeon HD Graphics driver update resolves an issue with distorted video when watching live TV on certain HD channels.

File name: sp46240.exe

If not, see if this works...Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, download and save, but do not run the above graphics driver.

After you download and save the graphics driver, right click on the graphics driver and select 7-zip from the menu.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its driver folder name (sp46240).

Then go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device category.

If there is no graphics driver installed, you will see a device labeled as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, or if the driver is installed, it will list the HD4800.

Click on the Driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC and see if the displays are normal again.

I can't recommend any replacement cards for you because I use low profile graphics cards that fit in any computer case, and they are not as powerful as the HD 4800.

iridium1
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Here is a photo of what the available space in the computer looks like. The ATI Radeon 4800 card is in red and the Creative SoundBlaster card is to the right. 

Can I fit the any of following graphics cards in to the space that the Radeon 4800 is sitting in or into the empty PCI-Ex-16 slot? Or should I be looking at another card?

EVGA GeForce GTX 950

EVGA GeForce GT 730

FullSizeRender.jpg

0 Kudos
iridium1
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

I purchased the EVGA GT 730 graphics card and used it to replace the ATI Radeon 4800. After installing the NVIDIA drivers my displays look great (as they did in Windows 7) and the awful black border is gone.

Very easy to remove and replace the old card. 

Quick reference guide for this type of machine: 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01177594

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
111,856 102,033 16,005 24,586
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad the new video card resolved the problem.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation