Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
behnam770 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keeping my original os while upgrading my bios to uefi

Pavilion dv6-6090ee
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,

i have this dv6-6090 for i think 5 years now, after upgrading to windows 10 (my original os was win7) i was thinking of making my drives gpt and upgrading my bios to uefi, i bought an ssd drive i want to replace it with my old hdd, now i want to keep my os and upgrade my bios to uefi, i want to know how, is it possible at all? to keep my original windows 10 witch i dont have any installation media from, and upgrading my bios to uefi and making my drives gpt? by the way, i don't have any problem just migrating my os from old hdd to new ssd drive, my problem is just that bios update to uefi.

tnx

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3417
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keeping my original os while upgrading my bios to uefi

behnam

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What I've read is that with UEFI, Win10 will only work with drives that were formatted GPT -- and I don't know that you can reformate an MBR drive to GPT without losing data.  This thread claims you can do that, but I have not verified it:  How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data?

What I would suggest, BEFORE you attempt this, is that you consider doing an image backup of your drive to external drive using Macrium Reflect. At least this way, if the conversion does not work, you can then go back to MBR and restore the current working version of Win10.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and backup ALL the partitions to the external drive
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation