cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
seb20 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

Envy 23 o014 all on one PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just little over 1 year old. Nothing but problems so far with wireless adapter constantly malfunctioning. We've been just dealing with it through frequent restarts. However, about a month ago the keyboard started going nuts.

Example: \pmjhx\\pmjhx\pmjhx\pmjhx\pmjhx\pmjhx

That is from typing a "down arrow" and a "backspace." Sometimes half the keys will do this, and sometimes its only one or two. sometimes the keyboard will just start typing an endless string of these and the only way to stop it is to take the batteries out. Would like to avoid purchasing another keyboard if possible. Any idea whats happening here? We've tried new batteries and key removal with cleaning.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1423
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

@seb20

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 23-o014 All-in-One Desktop PC and it has issues with the wireless network adapter losing connectivity and you have to restart the PC to make it work again. Secondly, the keyboard is malfunctioning and typing incorrect characters on the screen. You have replaced the batteries and issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the laptop after which the keyboard issue may have started. Let us deal with the issues one by one. 

Firstly, let me help you with the keyboard issue. 

• Remove wireless devices that were recently added near the area to see if another device is interfering with the communication. If there is interference, set the device to another frequency, or re-sync the mouse and keyboard to the receiver. To re-sync, see the step, Re-sync the wireless keyboard and mouse connections.
  • Remove any large metal surfaces if you are using the mouse or keyboard around large metal surfaces, or move the receiver, mouse, and keyboard to a new location, away from the metal surface.
  • Reseat the wireless receiver, or try another USB port. It is recommended that the USB receiver be placed away from USB 3.0 flash drive and USB 3.0 external hard drives.
  • If the issue persists then uninstall the keyboard drivers from device manager and then restart the PC.

If the keyboard still continues to act the wrong way then let us test the keys in the command prompt of recovery partition: 

• Power on the PC and tap the F11 key repeatedly during startup.
  • The recovery partition loads up.
  • On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.

Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected

• On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options.

Troubleshoot screen, with Advanced options selected

• On the Advanced options screen, click Command prompt.
  • In the command prompt window, test the keys. If the keys type the same incorrect way then it indicates a hardware failure with the keyboard.

Once, you have dealt with the keyboard steps, I suggest you to go through this HP Forums thread as it contains a fix for wireless connectivity issues. These steps mentioned in this thread have helped a lot of customers to permanently fix wireless issues: http://hp.care/2bDWLKj.

Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

seb20 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

Thanks, I'll give these ideas a shot when I get home today. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1423
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

@seb20

You are welcome. 🙂

I will wait for your response. Take your time. All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation