Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z800 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello i resently bought a  ( LSI 9212 4i4e ) raid controller to add Sata  iii to my Pc . i can't get the motherboard to recognize the device when i plug the SSD on it, it doesn't recognize it and i can't choose it as a boot up option because its not visible in the BIOS . i already tried the drivers on the Broadcom.com , neither i don't know how to upgrade the firmware ! someone please take me throw the steps and links that would be a great help .

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Areeki,

As you may know, the z800 when new could be purchased with an HP version of the LSI 9212, the -4i, which does not include the eSATA port of the -4i4e.

Have a look at: "LSI SAS RAID Host Bus Adapter installation"

https://www.itcreations.com/user-manuals/RAID/lsi-sas-raid.pdf

> "This document describes how to install an LSI 9212–4i Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Redundant Array of IndependentDisks (RAID) Host Bus Adapter (HBA) in HP Z series Workstations."

Also, this may have been the manual you've seen :  "LSISAS9212-4i4e PCI Express to 6Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter"

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/12352410?eula=true

The preliminary steps to installations are important:

Update the system BIOS, chipset drivers, and Intel Rapid Storage to the latest.  In the "Current Project" z620 listed below, the BIOS was too early to recognize the HP Z Turbo Drive.  After the BIOS was updated there it was.

Download the LSI_SAS2.SYS driver and have it ready.

Note Instructions 3,4 in the installation guide:

3. Press F6 when you see the message Setup is inspecting your computer's
hardware configuration or when the Windows operating system prompts you for
nonsupported drivers.
NOTE: You must press F6 for the new driver to be recognized. Otherwise, the system does not
recognize the devices controlled by the driver during the Windows setup.
4. Follow the instructions until a window appears displaying the message Setup could
not determine the type of one or more mass storage device… .

Be aware that if the LSI 9121 is to running the boot drive, you may have to install it to the SSD boot drive after it is connected and recognized by the 9212.  this is easiest done by cloning the current C: drive to a spare drive, installing the 9212 and boot drive and then cloning the spare drive C: back to the original drive. This will load everything,  but on some instances the licenses may have to re:entered.

I've had an HP 9212-4i for a couple of years but have such a basic drive configuration, I never needed it.

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

Current project: 

HP z620:  Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8-core @ 4.1GHz) / 64GB  DDR3-1866 ECC reg / Quadro P2000 5GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB + Intel 730 480GB + Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

[ Passmark: Rating = 6104 / CPU= 16855 / 2D= 809 / 3D= 8740 / Memory = 2949 / Disk = 14189 ]

This system may use the HP 9212 as I'd like to have a RAID 1 of two Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.