cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
columbiavol
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

m8300f keeps rebooting at Vista / Win 7 splash screen. But works fine with XP

HP Recommended

Working on a friend's m8300f with Vista that is about 2 years old. The computer started rebooting by itself then would get only to the splash screen before rebooting again. Here is what I have done:

1. Put HD in another HP, had the same issue.

2. Exchanged the HD for a Win 7 HD. Had same issue. Put that Win 7 HD in another HP and it worked fine.

3. Tried every SATA slot on the motherboard.

4. Tried different SATA cables.

5. Tried different power supply.

6. Ran the Vista CD and did the startup fix.

Oddly, when I put a HD with XP in the computer, it works fine. Something about Vista and Win 7 that the m8300f suddenly does not like. Any suggestions to get the Vista or Win 7 to work?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You already have this issue posted under Freezes.  Please stick to one post.

Boot into the bios and run some diagnostics. Try this bootable memory diagnostic disk: Download memtest86 iso file and burn it to disk using Imgburn.

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any. Plug your PC back in a give it a go.

Use the HP Recovery Disks to restore the hard drive to a factory fresh condition.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation