cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
HPElite
6 3 0 0
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m8530f desktop PC with M2N78-LA mother board doesn't recognize SATA HDD and SATA DVD

I am having the same issue. Can you provide a link to the cooling fan / heat sink solution? many thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m8530f desktop PC with M2N78-LA mother board doesn't recognize SATA HDD and SATA DVD

Hii HPElite:

I understand that your motherboard is not recognizing your SATA drive.There are six main reasons why a system BIOS will not detect the presence of an internal hard drive.  Here is a list of them.  They are not in any particular order, but you can follow these steps one by one to troubleshoot this problem:
Drive not enabled in the BIOS
Serial ATA drivers are not properly installed

Faulty or unplugged data cable
Drive is not spinning up
Incorrect jumper settings on the drive
Faulty hard drive

I am sending you a link to "About SATA Drives and Controllers" that I think may help.clcik here.

What brand of hard drive do you have. Each manufacture's website should have some additional information that you could check.

If you require further assistance please reply back with the name of the hard drive manufacture and I will research it  further for you.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,195 10,031 1,366 3,741
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As first reported in 2009, the basic problem with the M2N78-LA motherboards was a faulty batch of NVidia Sata controller chips. You can read through all 34 pages of text, and glean, as I did, anything worthy. There are 2 remedies that were mentioned, ie attaching a heatsink with fan (similiar to) this. The other was a specific sata controller PCIE card.

Sidebar: HPElite, your actual computer is the M9517c.

Again, to recap the issue:

That series motherboard was installed in many different models of HP computers. It is fraught with problems.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/m8530f-desktop-PC-with-a-m2n78-la-mother-board-doesn-...

Reported models with M2N78LA boards that have failed. This is not the complete list.

a4316f e9140f p5210y p6130y p6142p p6157c p6210f (Voilet) p6210y p6214c p6214y p6310y p632Violet6

p6320y  a6720y  m8530 f m9120y  m9350f  m9517cVIOLET  m9530f  m9840sc Slimline s5360f Violet 6

05/26/2012 from the file:

Well, there is a work-around, but it comes with a few caveats.

The "solution" is to use a HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-e to SATA  adapter and plug the HD and DVD into that. It has bootable support. I just did this on an HP Pavilion p6210y system.The card should cost between $25-$30. http://www.amazon.ca/HighPoint-Rocket620-SATA-PCI-Express-Controller/dp/B002VEWBGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

Now, here are the caveats I've found so far:

1) The Rocket 620 only has 2 SATA ports. If all you want is to get the PC up and running again, your machine will boot up and be "normal" again. Windows 7 should have no issue with the Rocket 620. There may be some issues with XP and Windows 2003.

2) You will not be able to boot from CD/DVD. This is not a big deal, if your OS is intact, or your recovery partition is intact. If not, then you're in for problems.

3) Data transfer rate will probably be slower than the onboard ports.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
cathyleich
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A few months ago, I thought my hard drive was bad and had just installed a  new Seagate drive (some model) and reinstalled Windows and everything worked fine for 3 weeks - then one day - the system completely *lost* view of my hard drive and cd..... so I order the Rocket based on another person's suggestion - pointing to this post because I have the tainted motherboard listed...and that is where I am now. 

IN any case,   I just installed the Rocket 620A Dual Port SATA PCI-Express 2.0 Host adapter and connected my hard drive and cd to it.  However, I can't get windows to come up - I can see a blue screen flash with some text on the screen shortly after I turn the computer on or after I click to ""start windows".  The system will then go to a screen that says Windows failed to start.  It allows me to try SAFE Boot, etc....  When I go to the System Recovery screen.... diags show the drive and everything is fine - but the thing will not boot up.    Are there some settings on my drive (dip switches) or something that I need to configure elsewhere to get this working?  Also, do I need to have the hard drive connected in a particular port?  I currently have it in the port that is to the right when I look directly at the end of the Rocket where the 2 ports are located. 

Is there a trick to use to try to see what flashed quickly on the screen - I think that will tell me the problem - but it just flashes and I can't read it.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks,  Cathy

0 Kudos
computerhelper
2 2 0 0
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Makinbacon,

Regarding the MASSCOOL PCI Card, 4 internal SATA Model XWT-RC040

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280003&cm_re=sata_controller-_-15-280-003-_...

The PCI SATA Controller above which Makinbacon mentioned only supports SATA 1.  What version of SATA does this motherboard support? If it's supports SATA 2 or SATA 3 there will have a downgrade in speed, but I think SATA 1 may be fast enough.

The HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express Controller Card supports SATA III, however it uses a PCI Express slot which means you won't be able to use that slot for anything else such as a Graphics card.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,195 10,031 1,366 3,741
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your problem is unlikley SATA speed as the card supports 6GB/sec.

"The Rocket 600 Series is the low-cost SATA 6Gb/s Non-RAID host adaptors that are industry standard AHCI( Advanced Host Controller Interface) compliant. They deliver Out-of-the-Box Ready and support operating systems such as ( windows vista, windows 7, Linux, and FreeBSD)".  Source link

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation