cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m8530f desktop PC with M2N78-LA mother board doesn't recognize SATA HDD and SATA DVD

Hello!

My computer is m8530f with M2N78-LA mother board.

It couldn't recognize SATA HDD and SATA DVD.

I already replaced the SATA cable and SATA HDD, but it doesn't work.

I had changed CMOS to the factory default, but it was the same.

What do you think?  Do you have any idea?

Thank you....

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 14
11,779 11,774 797 1,458
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m8530f desktop PC with M2N78-LA mother board doesn't recognize SATA HDD and SATA DVD

Does the BIOS see the DVD drive with the hd disconnected?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Even if I connect DVD alone but the BIOS don't recognize the DVD.

I also tried to connect SATA HDD without anyother Device (Video, Modem, DVD, ...),

but it doen's work also.

If I didn't turn it on the power for a long time, it recognize the HDD for a few second,

and then, it doesn't work agian...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14
11,779 11,774 797 1,458
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like you have a bad motherboard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
30 17 1 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow! There are people all over this board with the same problem. Curse those M2N78-LA motherboards! And I just ordered a new HD and SATA cable to try to fix this stupid a6720f. It looks like I will need another MB, but they are so expensive! I wonder how long a used one would last--they are only about $150. If I got a bare-bones computer from somewhere and re-used my drives, RAM, etc., it wouldn't use HP's Vista installation discs. I'd have to buy another edition of Vista! What a bummer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

if the machine operates at all try the following 

"sry for the double post"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Nvidia chipset runs too hot eventually burning out. This manufacturing flaw sucks i know. Sometimes it burns out the I/O controller. I am dealing with this right now. I tried testing everything, drives, memory, power supply, and the CPU. I will now try booting to a flash drive and updating the bios and see if the chip is still functional but if an update doesnt fix it...sigh new motherboard here i come... at least you already have all you need( a case, DDR3 memory, Hard  disk, dvd drives, Power supply and CPU.) Just get an AM3 Micro atx Motherboard and go. or u can buy a replacement for around 130$ on newegg. 

if you replace the board put a fan on the north bridge chipset a small investment but worth it. these mother boards perform well until that chipset over heats. also you may try to install a PCI sata controller here is an example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280003&cm_re=sata_controller-_-15-280-003-_...

one of these does the job of the failed one for 30 bucks its worth a try still put a fan on that chipset to prevent further complications. i read some forums that their chipset( the Nvidia 9100) runs at 113C this is way to hot. should never run past 80C i put a fan on mine and got it down to 50C you can see what yours runs at with speedfan. 

Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have notice that this is not the only forum here on HP talking about the same issue.  The whole problem with buying a new motherboard that does not have the HP tattoo is:

-your operation system will not be genuine, leaving you with the cost of a new operating system

-you have to find a motherboard to match your HP, in my case (elite m9350f) I have to have two pci-e x1 ports, one pci-e x16 port, ddr2/4 slots, audio front panel connector,...

not so easy to find.  I called HP and they do not carry this motherboard in their parts store.  Two options they gave me, by from their direct dealer for the low cost of $425.00 or get it sent in for service for the low cost of $300 (additional charges may apply).  Either way you can get a motherboard with the same flaw, that will cost about what the whole computer is worth.  HP support was good enough to give me this answer (this is copied and paste from the actual chat):

(me) [Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:23 PM] -- Donald S says:
Would you buy an HP computer after going through this?

(hp support) [Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:25 PM] -- MOHD G says:
Donald, it is same in any other brand you go. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Other forum that has a ton of good info on this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/m8530f-desktop-PC-with-a-m2n78-la-mother-board-doesn-t-see-my/...

Also, don't waste money on buying a SATA controller.  The FSB controller chip still has to control this the SATA bus the exact same way and this will not provide any benefit to fixing the issue.  I was hoping that this was a solder joint issue that could be fixed by reflowing the solder joints on the FSB BGA.  Not the case, did not help.  I ran a ROHS solder reflow profile using plenty of water wash flux and had no luck.  Everything look good after X-ray and visual inspection with ERSA scope.

In short , the IC must be burning out internally.  If I new where to buy the IC (cheaply) I would try to replace the part completely and see if this fixes the problem.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had same problem, and purchasing new motherboard was not an option. I have installed " Vantec UGT-ST622 2-Channel 4-Port SATA 6Gb/s PCIe Host Card " plugged my Hard Drive and DVD to both internal SATA ports on this card, my machine booted up from Hard Drive in Vista Home Prem. I didn't have to install any drivers. Though my windows was crashing so i formated my drive and installed new copy of windows no issues there. $25 bucks and problem fixed. 🙂

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation