Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives
Replies (35)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 11 of 36 (2,919 Views)

Re: m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives

"Deciding it was worth a little more trouble shooting I removed the drive and put it on a SATA to USB adapter.  Everything seemed to be there and operate fine.  After trying again I noticed the BIOS was also not detecting my SATA CD/DVD drive. I reseated swapped SATA ports cables etc.  No detection of either drive."

I think im having the same issue. I only have the one harddrive. Your saying I can purchase a sata to usb adapter and boot it from that. Or connect the harddrive to another computer and be able to retrieve all my files? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb but its weird how this is happening to a few people around the same time.

Provost
Message 12 of 36 (2,914 Views)

Nigeljik,

Windows will not boot via a USB connection.  You can get an installation USB flash drive or stick to boot.

If you buy an external sata drive enclosure that also has a USB port then you have an option to use the drive as a boot drive.  However, you do need to have an available motherboard sata port. Otherwise just use the drive as an external USB data drive.

Motherboard sata extension backet and cable here.   External sata/usb enclosure here.  

I used a new bare 2.5" drive, an external sata/USB enclosure and the sata extension bracket.  I don't use the USB port for connection as the sata connection is a lot faster. I do use a USB power only cable to provide power to the external enclosure since mine didn't come with a power cube.

Top Student
Message 13 of 36 (2,857 Views)

I tried cleaning and replacing all of the cables, but still nothing also. I too can access my harddrive when I turn it into an external drive and be able to view everything on my parents labtop. Would replacing the power supply and motherboard be the next best option? or should I try the recovery disks first. If so which exact models do I buy?

Provost
Message 14 of 36 (2,849 Views)

nigeljk,

Did you try clearing the CMOS?  Does the new hard drive spin up?

Top Student
Message 15 of 36 (2,798 Views)

Hey i tried reinstalling my harddrive and puting my computer back together and now i cant even select anything at the hp screen and it goes straight to a screen saying detecting harddrives. and it looks like its trying to read something but no luck. This is getting worse and worse, I'm never going to get my computer back. lol

Provost
Message 16 of 36 (2,791 Views)

Is your new drive external?  Did you connect your new drive to the motherboard sata port?

Intern
Message 17 of 36 (2,772 Views)

Oh, wow! I am having the same problem with my Pavilion a6720f. I think it will probably need a new MB. What else could make ALL the SATA ports in a computer mess up at the same time? Did you ever fix your problem?

By the way, when my computer first started making trouble, I was looking at a Word document I downloaded from the Internet. I was thinking "Macro virus", but it was Word document being displayed in OpenOffice 3.2, which doesn't run Visual Basic for Applications like Word does. (It uses a slightly different macro language.) Anyway, could a virus damage a motherboard?

Intern
Message 18 of 36 (2,762 Views)

Yeah, both the m9350f and the a6720f use the Pegatron M2N78-LA motherboard. Search this forum for "a6720f" and you'll find a lot of people (including me!) with the same problem. Just ordered a replacement (used) motherboard from China. But if it has the same weakness--they say it's the NVidia chipset--how long will it last?

Good luck to you all. I'll tell you if the new old motherboard I ordered worked. Digital Anny has a few more left!

Top Student
Message 19 of 36 (2,651 Views)

What motherboard do I need and what recovery disc do I need to purchase? Can you provide links pls? I went to a few shops and they all said it was the motherboard

Intern
Message 20 of 36 (2,637 Views)

nigeljk wrote:

What motherboard do I need and what recovery disc do I need to purchase? Can you provide links pls? I went to a few shops and they all said it was the motherboard

You haven't said what computer you have or what OS you use. If you have a Pavilion m9350f, you need the Viola-GL8E motherboard. Note: DO NOT order an M2N78-LA, even though that's what is written on your old MB. There are 4 motherboards with that manufacturer's name, and they aren't interchangeable! Search EBay for "Viola-GL8E". As for recovery disks, it depends on your OS, but since your computer should run fine with the new MB, you probably won't need one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation