Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives
Replies (35)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 31 of 36 (1,465 Views)

Re: m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone a friend of mine has this problem on his computer he's giving it to me to look at.

It seems that there are quite a few people that are having a problem with this particular motherboard model (m2n78-la viola gl8e) I have a couple of things to try hopefully someone else has had luck and can shed some light.
A. Clearing the bios. I was able to get the hard drive detected  at P.O.S.T. I then stopped the boot process to check to see if the bios hailed or save the hard drive information in its records.    IT DID NOT!

FACT: The BIOS software is built into the PC, and is the first code run by a PC when powered on ('boot firmware'). The primary function of the BIOS is to load and start an operating system. When the PC starts up, the first job for the BIOS is to initialize and identify system devices such as the video display card, keyboard and mouse, hard disk, CD/DVD drive and other hardware.

B. the above statement tells me that the chipset has not been initiated yet. And it sounds like a corrupt bios.

C.  So how does one flash the bios, that's a good question if the motherboard does not recognize the hard drive where the operating system is using an update from HP will not work it needs the operating system to be functional. I've tried a Windows PE cd, it gave errors probably not the correct environment. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Regents Professor
Message 32 of 36 (1,450 Views)

[ Edited ]

nNextClick wrote: It seems that there are quite a few people that are having a problem with this particular motherboard model (m2n78-la viola gl8e) I have a couple of things to try hopefully someone else has had luck and can shed some light.

So how does one flash the bios, that's a good question if the motherboard does not recognize the hard drive where the operating system is using an update from HP will not work it needs the operating system to be functional.

Hello nNextClick, You might try flashing ths BIOS from a USB flash drive.

Here  is a link that has the information on how this can be done.

This may work and it may not, but since the current motherboard BIOS has become corrupted, it may be worth a try.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
Message 33 of 36 (1,413 Views)

Hanspuppa

Please excuse the late response. I didn't know the day my friend bought this computer to me he had ordered a new motherboard.

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The new motherboard has been installed and working very well it has built in HDMI which works very well connected to his theater system.

Thanks.

Regents Professor
Message 34 of 36 (1,411 Views)

nNextClick wrote: Please excuse the late response. I didn't know the day my friend bought this computer to me he had ordered a new motherboard.  ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
The new motherboard has been installed and working very well it has built in HDMI which works very well connected to his theater system.

Hello nNextClick, Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it all sorted. Congratulations.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
Message 35 of 36 (1,074 Views)

my m9350f's motherboard was replaced not too long ago. All the sudden it's not detecting my 2 SATA drives, and now even not coming up, turned it on and nothing show on the screen, it does power up.

any suggestion?

Thank you all.

Tom

Student
Message 36 of 36 (958 Views)

I have the same problem.  i.e. BIOS not detecting any disk device.  I am guessing by the responses that there is no easy fix to this.  Anybody want to buy a broken computer?  I replaced it with an e-machine, at least if that breaks, I am not out a whole lot of money.

George

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation