cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
68 25 1 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

major issues with Windows 8

HP Recommended

I have a HPE 519c (64 bit), and upgraded to W8 about a month ago, but had so many problems after the install that I finally reverted back to W7 today. Has anyone else had success with installing W8?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Can you describe issues you were having?

Win 8 HP drivers for your system are available here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5155964&task=&

Jaco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
68 25 1 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I had already updated the drivers from your weblink.

The problems I was having are:

1) when performing a Windows Defender full scan, it would scan for about 40 minutes and then I would get the BSOD (your computer has experienced a problem....) and the computer would restart. Note that a quick scan worked OK.

2) when I tried to make a system image, it would work until about 90% done (during the backing up C: portion) and then the BSOD and a reboot.

3) even when not doing anything, with only the Metro screen up, I would get the BSOD within 30 minutes and the computer would reboot.

Since reverting back to W7, I have had no issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like a driver issue.

If you try Win 8 again you should go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Startup and Recovery, Settings, then uncheck automatically restart. This will stop the reboot and you can see the error code.

Google the error code for possible causes. This should help to isolate what driver is causing the problem.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
68 25 1 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I've set up my computer now for a double-boot of W7 and W8 (haven't installed W8 yet). I'm unsure of how the drivers work - if I install the HP-recommended W8 drivers, will that cause a problem when I boot into W7?

Also, how does a double-boot work concerning data files - do the W8 files (example word documents) go to the same location as the W7 files?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I also had problem's with windows 8 upgrade, but I spent a week working with Microsoft and we Had to dump out 7 after 8 was installed, and shortly after did a total refresh on windows 8 unfortunally i lost the apts to web cam  I can use it in facebook and Skype but have no idea where it is on my computer, I tried to ask Hp for help my computer is under warrenty, and they wanted to charge  169.00 to help me , never will i buy Hp again I'll go back to toshibba again, and windows 8 didnt come with a media player, I had to upgrade to one, or get a 3rd party one to play Dvd's  , also windows 8 doesnt like Norton Antivirus, so once again money wasted, I should of Stayed with 7   Microsoft really did a good job getting computer running alot better then HP  and they didnt charge me, then I bought windows 8 for dummys and took part in onine courses free of charge.   still have no Idea where my web cam is, but its works with face book, just sucks not knowing where it is to pin a Icon for it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
2,376 2,316 169 524
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A dual boot should work. I am dual booting.

Take the Win 8 ISO file you bought from Microsoft and burn to a USB stick. Boot the system using the USB stick and follow the prompts to do a custom or clean install on the newly formatted partition you set up for dual booting.

Download all drivers from here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5155...

Install drivers in Win 8 and you should be fine.

Win 8 will take control of booting and give you an option of running Win 7 or Win 8 at boot. Data files can be stored on a third common internal or external drive. In addition , there is a folder on Win 7 called SWSETUP and within you will find extra software installed by HP on Win 7. I have not tried all Win7 software on my system but I did install PDF Complete on Win 8 with no problems.

You can get Windows Media Center free from Microsoft here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs if uou are installing Win 8 Pro.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please elaborate more on this to understand the exact issue. I have been using Windows 8 Pro (64-Bit) on my 5 years old laptop since months, and never had any issues so far.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation