cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hothouseflower
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

mp4

HP Recommended
HP desk top Model: 450-a114

This may not be the appropriate place but fact finding on my own I think I've found the answer maybe? I have a new to me HP Pavillion for some time. I am quite confused as I'm dealing w/2 TBI's. This is my current analogy. If I were a computer my ROM is barely passable, my RAM is messed up BIG TIME due to the fact my chip has been sorely damage twice. It takes me quite some time to process whatever info I'm told. Espesially in order to retreve it later.

To compensate I've made "cheat sheets"  in notepad. As I've said I need to keep rediscovering that which I have. I have a HP desk top Model: 450-a114 SK. Does it have the capasity to  download & play back Standard MP4 Format?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,523 30,430 2,778 6,716
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hothouseflower

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The hardware specs of a PC really have almost nothing to do with what media files you can download and play.

Media files use something known as CODECS and these are needed to play them back.

Windows Media Player (WMP), the default media player from Microsoft, installs very few CODECs, so using it, there are only a handful of media formats you can use.

But VideoLAN player (known as VLC), comes with LOTS of CODECs, so you can use it.  You can get it here:  http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
hothouseflower
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank whoever replied I know not if that answere my question or not. When I was attempting to download an audio/visual? file that said mp4 it wouldn'/didn't. When I was perusing the help forum/questions I think I saw a statement that I thought my HP wasn't equipped w/mp4's . So I have no idea if your answer is applicable or not, thanks again for trying

Hotouseflower.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> When I was attempting to download an audio/visual? file that said mp4 it wouldn'/didn't.

Exactly what was the error-message?

Did you choose "Run" or "Save" or "Save As" when starting the download?

> When I was perusing the help forum/questions I think I saw a statement that I thought my HP wasn't equipped w/mp4's .

Where did you find that statement?  Are you paraphrasing the statement?

> So I have no idea if your answer is applicable or not,

It is applicable.  See: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

and download the VLC software.

Install it.

It can "play" many types of audio files, and can "show" many types of audio/video files.

After installing VLC, try the download again, and choose "Save" the download.

Then, open the folder that now contains the download, and double-click the file, which should launch VLC to "play" the downloaded file.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation