Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have HP TouchSmart 610 desktop pc Windows 7 SP 1 and my windows OS was activated 2 years ago without any probem.  

Several days ago a pop up alert started showing up saying "this computer isn't running genuine Windows."

An option exists to "resolve online now."
After clicking on that a message comes up saying "validation process cannot continue because your web browser may not be configured to run the required script." To continue with validation please do the following:
1. Click "Validate now" to run the alternate validation process [optimized for browsers unable to run original validation script.]
2. When prompted click Save, or run this program from its original location.
When I click "Validate now" the message says "What do you want to do with legitcheck.hta?"
size: 2.56KB  from: www.microsoft.com

So  I choose run this file and after open window from Microsoft - Install genuine Windows with this information - 
Files that Windows needs to work properly have been modified, removed, or disabled. To resolve, you need to install genuine Windows. 

I called today Microsoft Activation Center and Support - I give them COA code - They said that my OS windows 7 home  - is OEM version - so I need to contact HP support with this problem. 

I check Start/Computer/Properties/Windows Activation - and there is - Windows is Activated

I also clean up my pc using instruction from bleepingcomputer.com so there are no any viruses and my pc is clean.

Please help

John

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

This has been known to happen for some unknown reason and sometimes resolves itself after a couple of boots.

Tryrecreating the Licensing Store.
Recreate the Licensing Store
1) Click Start button.
2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
😎 Type: net start sppsvc
9) Type: slui.exe
10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.
If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sitcker on eht machine's case

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Hi I try CMD 

4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.

I have there also - More help is avalaible by typing NET HLPMSG 3521

After I type Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro nothing happen , please bellow

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net stop sppsvc
The Software Protection service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\Windows\system32>cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\M
icrosoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProt
ectionPlatform>

HP Recommended

If the solution I gave you above does not work, try this:

http://www.whatvwant.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-easy-solution/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Actually the computer isn't saying my Windows 7 copy is not genuine--it looks to be a message from Microsoft.

My machine is a box-stock HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1260 bought on May 14, 2012. It was activated properly and has run without issues with the OS it came with on the hard drive it came with. As a Comcast subscriber I have Norton 360 and have used it from the getgo. I'm a veteran user and know better than to get suckered by phishing attacks. I have auto-update on both the OS and on Norton 360.

I think what has happened is that Microsoft did something to catch increasingly sophisticated counterfeiting from Asia and it has ensnared many legitimate owners like me. I checked Micorosoft's website and it has many dozens of recent complaints about people like me with standard systems bought from the manufacturer--as I did.

The Microsoft notice is offensive. It states flatly that I'm running counterfeit software, despite my having bought it with the PC from a reputable manufacturer (HP) years ago, running it from then until a few days ago without incident.

It feels like getting caught up in an ID theft scam and having to jump through flaming hoops to clear my name.

The irony is that I've always defended Microsoft. Now I know why it's called the Evil Empire. It doesn't mind harassing innocent users like me in its efforts to crack down on counterfeiters.

So--now what do I do with this problem that is not of my own making?

HP Recommended

Same problem, same timeframe, with an HP slimline desktop PC bought two years ago, still with its original hard drive and OS (Win7).

Suddenly I start getting these Microsoft messages saying I've got counterfeit software.

I called HP tech support. They thought it was a problem brought on by Microsoft's latest software update, which has been generating a lot of these messages in error.

But after 45 minutes of troubleshooting with Microsoft, including letting the tech take control of my computerfor a while, he told me that the problem was that when HP assembled the computer, it input the wrong product key, which didnt come to light until another computer with that product key was registered--two years later!

The takeaway is that you could try calling Microsoft tech support and let them troubleshoot it. They'll try to sell you products & services but I got what I got for free--and I got the problem fixed. 

Just have everything saved before you call them--it'll involve a reboot.

HP Recommended

I was having a problem - getting 'not genuine microsoft' message.  Gave up after 2 hour talking with MS support.  Resorted to Wen and this worked - solve it on the first try. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing that with us.

HP Recommended

If the solution I gave you above does not work, try this:

http://robusttricks.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-fix/

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.