cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pcterm2 Tutor
Tutor
24 21 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

need original product key

ms213
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i am making up a rescue disk for my system and i need the original product key so i get win 7 from microsoft.

ms213,product  ny645aa-aba,build id 94nav6pra3,serial number [personal information removed]

thank you                           jim

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
9539 9536 890 2585
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem with this is going to be that M$ will not accept an OEM Windows key for that download page.  so even if you had it, it would not work.  That sites does work with retail keys, however.  So then the quest would be to get a retail key, or just borrow a Windows 7 install disk to make the "rescue disk".

Assuming this PC came with Windows 7 installed, you can make a "Recovery Media" set from Recovery Manager, or order a set, which will reinstall the software on the PC - "facotory fresh" as they say.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
pcterm2 Tutor
Tutor
24 21 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

with all due respect ,i am attemping to have a back up for my backup,this machine ,about every 6 months decides it dont want to work,so the  need for a second backup just in case.this last time i ended up using a third and a fourth partys software just to get through the mbr that wasnt found and all tests showed hard drive dieing,and thats been going on for the last 5-6 years,so i dont know i have been wondering if i should dump this machine and build one of my own,last one i built was back in 2002,win xp pro and you know what it still runs after all these years,i have the product key on this machine guess i am just covering my 6.

thanks for your time and effort                       jim

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9539 9536 890 2585
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Either the reference to the Recovery Media set was overlooked or rejected, I cannot tell, but that would then give you another avenue to recovery.  It is not clear what this "rescue disk" might be.  Could you please explain just what you are attempting?

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

0 Kudos
pcterm2 Tutor
Tutor
24 21 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sir,asyou may or not know HP doesnt send you a install disk when you buy one of their products, dont know about what deal they have with microsoft but it just seems strange that when you by one of HP products you should get a copy of the operating system also as back up and they dont supply it.

p.s also the pcdoctor program that comes with the computer doesnt work either,the cd drive hasnt worked since HP replaced the hard drive,this machine has has a total of 4 hard drives,makes you wonder if some else is wrong

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9539 9536 890 2585
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I am aware they do not send a Windows install disk anymore.  They provide another way to recovery  with what HP calls Recovery Manager.  If you PC came with Windows 7, then you can reinstall all the software to return the PC back to "factory fresh".  The means will not give you the same thing as a Windows 7 install disk, however.  Manufacturers use a form the Windows licensed as OEM, and that OEM key will not work on the Microsoft Windows 7 download site. "The problem with this is going to be that M$ will not accept an OEM Windows key for that download page." which was my response.  The only way for you to get a working Windows install has already been given to you, in previous posts.

If you are having to troubles with other things, too, perhaps see if Recovery Manager will run for you.

0 Kudos
pcterm2 Tutor
Tutor
24 21 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i am sorry if i upset you,it was not my intention,as for running recovery manager the few times i could get it to run nothing would change or give any kind of error message or anything like that, all the tests i ran came back as passed,so as soon as it dies again,i will go out buy myself the parts{motherboard ,drive and such}and build myself another machine and not buy any more HP products,also will recommend to the rest of my family to follow suit.do i want or expect anything from HP.no .

at this stage i dont expect any kind of answer or new machine or anything,hell you couldnt give me one.

again i am sorry                   with all due respect                  jim

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation