cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
joson Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new hard drive

I am trying to reinstall my OS on HP pavillion slimline s7700n on my old hard drive but I am getting "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Disks. You will not be able to continue to recover this system from these discs." either by the recovery disc that I created nor the one that I recently orderd from HP. I am planning to get a new hard drive and reinstall the OS but I would like to know if this one will solve my problem.

The only issue I had before with my pc was, it   boots up always in safe mode and I can not do anything so I tried to format and reload the OS but with no luck.  NO hardware changes yet in my PC.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,255 1,250 77 144
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new hard drive

As far as I know, the discs should mostly or only work on the original sized hard drives or slightly bigger sized hard drives if it's Windows Vista. This is called a tattoo. Motherboard and hd come in a special pair.

In the xp hp pcs, it's a bit different.

Now the problem with the "windows always booting in safe mode thing", it should be in the msconfig option. I think u have the "diagnostic startup" option checked.

Restore or recovery should fix that problem.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 25 1 6
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new hard drive

When starting up try pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"  if it gives you a system menu then use it and you can wipe the partition table on the drive and also choose the factory image setting from that menu afterwards.  This may enable you to apply the factory tattoo to the drive.  This is not a guaruntee though.

Also of Note HP has been using Tattoo's with there PC's since before Vista infact they have been using this method of manufacturing since the release of Windows XP.

Contract HP Technician. Over 15 years PC experience in a professional & non-professional capacity.
0 Kudos
christy1246 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new hard drive

Mine won't wake up either. The lights turn from yellow to blue and the screen goes from black to a flash of light with gray but thats it.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation