Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
envy 700-329
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hi,

I bought an hp envy 700-329 in nov 2014.

the computer is great however i got a great deal on a 1tb samsung 850 pro and id like to install it.

after researching i found that because the music production software  i use does not like to be moved around to different drives/operating systems its best to do a clean install of the operating system and then the music production software on the new ssd thus starting fresh.

please stop me if iam wrong but iam guessing that i would need help figuring out if i .....

1) can download a new copy of windows 8.1

2) where i would download that from and

3) how i would download it to the ssd 

4) if i would need to activate some sort of license on the new copy of windows 8.1 

5) if i can use my old license from the old operating system on the original hdd that came preloaded from the factory with windows and if so 

6) how do i activate it on the new ssd

7) any advice moving forward

sorry for rambling on, as you can tell iam not that tech savy so any advice plus very thorough explanations would be best .

thankyou

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The simplest method is to migrate your existing operating system installation to the new SSD.  That way the OS is already activated and you don't need to download a Windows 8.1 ISO or deal with finding and installing drivers.

I wrote a response to a thread that was made into a sticky on how to do that in the notebook PC section of the forum. 

How to migrate your PC's operating system to an SSD ( my take on the K.I.S.S. principle)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-do-I-upgrade-my-notebook-to...

Once you have migrated the installation to the SSD you can remove the old spinner hard disk, put this one in its place and boot to it. 

In my opinion, your choice of a Samsung 850 pro was a good one.  🙂 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Hi erico,

Thankyou for your quick response.

When I reached out to all the audio production software companies about the best way to tackle the this they all replied to fresh install everything and specifically do not use migrate " assassin" to move the os over to the ssd so unfortunately that won't be an option for me.

Looks like the hardway for me!

Cheers
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.