cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

no sound with geforce gt 520 graphics card

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion PC m7780n.  The original video card went out so I replaced it with a PNY Nvidia GEForce GT 520.  Video works fine, but there's no sound (except through USB-connected devices).  I've updated the driver.  The PNY site says to set the BIOS primary audio to ONBOARD.  My choices are only AUTO, ENABLED, DISABLED.  I changed it from AUTO to ENABLED, but that doesn't appear to have made any difference.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,154 113,335 18,249 27,859
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Changing the audio setting in the BIOS from Auto to Enabled should have worked just fine.

Are you saving the setting where you made the change and also again when you exit the BIOS?

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep.  Just went into the BIOS again to be sure and the primary audio shows ENABLED.  Other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That doesn't sound promising.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to try clearing the CMOS and try changing that BIOS setting back to enabled.

If that doesn't work, then you can't have a video card with HDMI out.

Shut down and disconnect everything from the PC--including the mouse, keyboard, monitor A/C power. Everything.

Then press and hold the power button for a second to clear any residual power in the system.

Then, to clear CMOS, follow these steps:

1. Temporarily set jumper CLEAR_CMOS to pins 1-2.
  2. Wait 5-10 seconds and then return the jumper to pins 2-3.
  3. On the next PC startup, enter BIOS setup to reset any custom BIOS settings.

DO NOT move these jumpers with the A/C power turned on!

Paul

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I opened up the computer and looked for something that matched your picture but found nothing, so I didn't go down this route.

I had also contacted PNY Tech Support.  They said it looked like I'd done everything right, but that I should "reinstall the sound drivers from ASUS" (my system board).  I can't find anything on their site that looks like sound drivers, so I'm guessing I've gone as far as I can with this with my level of expertise.

I'm going to try just using USB equipment to get sound, which seems a lot easier than trying to find and install another graphics card.  That should hold me over until I replace this computer.

Thanks for the ideas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

Im having the same problem with an nvidia geforce 8400gs. In device manager under display  adapter i have my nvidia card and drivers.

Under sound video and game controllers i have ac97 drivers.Well only is in Bios i set the onboard audio enabled or auto.If i disable it the nothing is there in devide manager.

I have tried every solution i found on the internet but nothing worked. There is one thing i cannot find information about and that is the inbuilt sound card. Does "not being hd audio card" have anything to do with this problem? i've tried to install realtek hd audio manager unsuccessfully about 3 times.

I have another pc with the same nvidia card but with hd audio manager on it and i get sound trough hdmi port!!!

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to make sure the BIOS audio setting is set to Enabled only, not Auto.

The Auto setting will only work the HDMI out audio on your graphics adapter.

AC-97 is your onboard audio. It was the precursor to "HD" audio.

Did you try the Realtek AC-97 audio drivers from the Realtek site?

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I tried all 3 options in the bios, whe i disable it then all i get is beeps from the motherboard, although i havent tried it with external speakers coz the whole point is to get sound trough the hdmi cable.Also when disabled the in the taskbar no speaker sign appears,and in the device manager under sound game controllers stays empty.

At the moment  im using realtek ac 97 driver ,still no sound trough HDMI.

I tried to install realtek hd audio manager but i always get an error message during the installation sayingno driver was supported in this driver package" and i cant carry on with the installation.

I also tried to install microsofts UAA or KB888111 but the apparently these 2 are the same. I managed to install th kb888111 but then i still get no sound and my cpu consumption goes up to 100% so i guess some drivers collide.

Can this hd or not hd audio a hardver issue

this is the chipset i have in this pc Controller: AC-97

• Realtek ALC658C 6-channel CODEC chipset

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it ,ive been searcing the internet for weeks for solution and found none yet 😄

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I wish I could help, but I have no idea what to say.

You did install the nvidia HDMI audio driver for the video card, right?

That is where the HD audio will come from.

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes i did install it but i doesnt even appear in the device manager under sound controller.

What worth mentioning is that on the other PC ( vista )realtek hd audio manager is installed ,and in that you can choose the output  .hdmi,digital,and something else i cant remember.

On the xp machine i cant even see the hdmi output,like it doesnt even exist...

Anyway its not a huge problem i still got the external speakers but its pretty annoying...i hate not being able to solve problems

Thanks for your time anyway

Isti

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation