cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 4
102 71 1 5
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

non LSI or Adaptec PCIe SATA-3 controller card in xw6600 for improved datatransfer of SSD

HP Recommended
HP xw6600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own a HP xw6600 workstation with two E5450 Xeon Quad Cores and 32 GB of - Quad Channel memory installed an one Samsung 850 Pro SSD as my main OS drive together with an WD Re 2 TB HDD.

Investing in a original Adaptec or LSI SAS controller card is perhaps a bit too much for a almost 6 year old workstation.

There for I am considering to buy a SATA III - PCIe controller card with two SATA connectors and two mSATA connectors instead.

Has anyone here tried that before and if so how did that workout for you ?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 579
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have not tried exactly that, but have put in the HP Texas Instruments USB 3.0 "2x2" PCIe card and it is working great.  

The thing to know about the xw6600 is that it has two PCIe Generation II slots, which can run up to 5Mbps.  Those are the two video slots, and the other PCIe slots are Gen I.  It is not until you get to the Z620 that you get Gen III (10 Mbps) slots showing up.

So, place the card you choose into the second (lower) video slot for fastest access to the PCIe bus.  

Personally, I've moved away from SAS, and don't see big differences in user experience between SATA II and III.  So, for me the use of USB 3.0 with 5 Mbps speeds was the thing I really benefited from.  And, I was surprised to find that my chosen (fast) USB 3.0 thumb drive actually is significantly faster than my older USB 2 thumb drives even when plugged into HP USB 2.0 ports.  Connected to that HP USB 3 card it is amazingly fast.  I've posted on that card and how I use an Akasa front 3.5" form factor interface to get 2 of the 4 total USB3 ports up front where the floppy used to live.  Very nice clean install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
122 122 10 22
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there Anthony 🙂 

Would you mind further explaining what are you using the workstation for and the purpose of the upgrade that you are looking at?

Are you planning on adding more HDDs/SSDs to your system? Are you going to put them in a RAID configuration? 

You should first consider what free PCIe ports you have and if you will be populating them with other expansion cards and what actual speeds will they provide you with. 

SDH gave you some good suggestions and explanations! 

Post back with some more details! 

Captain_WD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
102 71 1 5
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am saving up some cash for a future upgrade to a either Z800 or a Z600, perhaps if the circumstances allow a Z420 with Xeon HC (6 core) cpu which already has a 6 Gbps SATA interface in comparison to the current 3 Gbps SATA interface of my current XW6600.

I am considering a raid 0 solution Captain WD but i am primarily interested in faster boot loading and faster program loading.

Just investing an LSI or Adaptec card that will not run on later Workstation is n ot a prudent way I reckon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
122 122 10 22
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A SSD should be the better choice as the faster access and seek times should provide far better performance compared to HDDs in RAID0. A SATAIII connection should allow you to use the full potential of a SSD instead of bottlenecking it to 300MB/s. Another option is to combine SSDs in RAID0 for better sequential speeds but you would see little performance increase in the random speeds. 

Consulting with the live HP support may also be a good idea here. 🙂

Captain_WD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
102 71 1 5
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Captain_WD wrote:

A SSD should be the better choice as the faster access and seek times should provide far better performance compared to HDDs in RAID0. A SATAIII connection should allow you to use the full potential of a SSD instead of bottlenecking it to 300MB/s.

Captain_WD.

RIght now I already use Samsung 512 GB - SSD 850 Pro drive  but just plugged in to the 3 Gbps SATA connection and I would like to improve upon that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
2,051 2,006 184 579
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then, go ahead and buy a PCIe SATA Gen III card, plug it in to the bottom PCIe x16 generation II PCI slot in your xw6600 and tell us all if SATA III feels faster than SATA II in the 5 Gbps PCIe Gen II slot.

It will cost you about 25.00 do do this..... you'll be able to find a good card for that price I'm sure.  It would be great to include some throughput testing, but I'm personally more interested if you "feel" any difference.  My guess will be no, because there are other factors in play.

Having worked extensively with the xw6400 and xw6600 and now the Z400 and the Z600 (all maxed out for speed) I can tell you that what I am seeing is exactly what I expected.  As you get newer the cost starts going way up for incremental improvements, and you will benefit from fine tuning your processor to the fastest, and your memory to fully populate all channels with fastest memory (to match the speed of your fastest processor)..... all this at a significant boost in cost.  Plus the cost of a faster video card to match the other improvements.  There will be an added "snap".

I like the new feel, but don't like how much it costs to get there.  No surprise.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation