Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
dc7900 and elite 8000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have 2 desktops, a BUSINESS PRO DC7900 and an ELITE 8000.The 7900 came with the complete dvd kit . Included was a XP PRO, sp 2 and 3 . The 8000 had a similar kit with a WIN 7 PRO. I have seen the OEM WIN 7 PRO 32 bit with 2 different part numbers. The 7900 is #650432. The 8000 is #589203. They are both marked as WIN 7 PRO SP1. The only outward difference is the BLACK and WHITE color combination. black over white versus white over black. Are these 2 CDs EXACTLY the same despite the 2 different numbers? I would like to use the 8000 os cd in the 7900 tower  to change from XP to 7. Is this possible or do I need to buy a complete DVD KIT for the 7900. I have a kit with the WIN 7 cd missing. I was under the impression that only the PLUS CD was model specific. The others were universal. I tried to downgrade the 8000 to XP following the PLUS CD. It did not work as XP is not in the OS's listed. Perhaps I am wrong.  Also the other WIN 7 versions CDs are also missing. I only have WIN 7 PRO to use as that is the only CD I have. Advice please. I can get a 7900 kit from EBAY. I cannot find a WIN 7 PRO specific to the 7900 if that is really needed. I would rather not have to buy another kit just for the sake of ONE CD.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

To me, your description seems quite convoluted.

Did the 7900 come with media (and a 25-character product-key) to install Windows 7?

Or, did the 7900 come with media with the product-key embedded in a file on a folder on the media, so that product-key will automatically be applied when installing Windows?

If you try to use the media from the 8000, and there is a product-key embedded on that media, then both computers will use the same product-key, which is a violation of the license.

I looked at: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=DC7900

and HP does not offer to sell you a "System Recovery Set", to reinstall the original software that was shipped with the 7900.

Maybe, see:  www.ComputerSurgeons.com  -- they might have that software for purchase.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.