Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p7-1234
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a p7-1234 HP desktop with windows 7 and a HPLV2311 monitor.  Recently the computer started shutting down on its on for no reason after even short pauses.  I have changed the windows settings for power saving etc. to "never shut off" or whatever but the screen will go into a sleep mode at most any time and the computer follow suit repeatedly.

The computer will not stay on long enough to run a "deep" virus scan with MSFT security essentials program.

I have seen others with this problem.  I had my power source checked at a shop about a month ago and it is ok.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

>  I had my power source checked at a shop about a month ago and it is OK.

They used their connection to the electrical "power-grid".

Did your computer work fine when connected to their power, or did it shutdown?

Perhaps, it's the electrical power coming into your home that is "flaky" or "spikey".

You might want to spend about $50 US to buy a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that gets connected between your wall-outlet and your computer, to provide "smooth" power to your computer.

Or, your computer's other components, typically the RAM and/or the motherboard, could be "failing", and causing problems.

Turn your computer off.

Turn your computer on, and look for a message like "press <blah> to run HP Hardware Diagnostics".

Press that <blah> key.

Run the hardware diagnostics.

Tell us what it reports.

HP Recommended

I am an electrician and have a dedicated circuit to my computer right beside another "daisy chained" outlet.  I have tried both of those with the same results.   I have not noticed any power drops; lights blinking, electronic modems etc. resetting due to voltage drops etc.  But the UPS is a good suggestion. 

The computer, while at "the shop", did exhibit some of the symtoms but it took awhile and they claimed they ran antivirus, cleaned the computer motherboard inside and then it ran ok.  When I go the computer back it still had problems but a lot less frequently until now.  I will track down and run the HP software you suggest, I did that the first time round with this problem.

thanks

HP Recommended

OK , I ran the HP diagnostics test and; CPU,HARD DRIVE,BOOTTEST,SMARTTEST, MEMORY TEST, and all passed. 

I went to the HP assistant/help tab and it informed me:

"Your PC reached end of support on 6/20/2016. HP support coverage extensions and some repair parts are no longer available for your model. Use HP Support Assistant for self-support resources and tools."...........

and then they offered a discount if I spent at least $700 on a new computer.

I may have mentioned before I have gone in and changed the sleep mode settings to never on everything but it still "sleeps" after about a minute or less of activity frequently.

HP Recommended

> I have gone in and changed the sleep mode settings to never on everything but it still "sleeps" after about a minute or less of activity frequently.

Does both the monitor and the desktop go to "sleep", or is it only the monitor that goes into power-saving mode?

Did you set the monitor to "go dim after 1 minute of inactivity" (or something like that) ?

Do you have another monitor to try?  Or, a TV with a 'VGA-input' port?

Has an electrician (you) inspected the motherboard for leaking or "blown" capacitors?

Are you using the "integrated-video" circuitry on the motherboard, or an add-in video-adapter?

If the former, add-in a video-card, which should disable the onboard video, and, of course, provide a different video-output to your monitor.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.