Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have an HP pavilion slimline model s5213w.  its running on windows 7. lately ive been having an issue with my computer recognizing portable devices and i never had this problem before. when i go to device manager it gives me a code 18 which says reinstall the driver, which i try to do and it tells me i have the best software for the driver. ive tried uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling then it gives me a code1 which says the device is not configured correctly, so i configure it and then back to square one with the code 18 for reinstalling the driver. i believe i am missing a file somewhere or a file is corrupted. im so aggravated with this that im contemplating letting the computer go for a swim in the pool! please please please help. thank u

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello katyoung, Can you advise what the portable device is that is causing all the trouble?

The resolution may be quite simple. It may just need to have some software/driver updates.

Here  is a link to a Microsoft site that may have the information on how to resolve this issue.

You also may want to take a look at this  Link  for some information on troubleshooting the Memory Card Reader.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

there is no 1 particular device that is causing the issue. anytime i try to plug in my camera, which is an hp, or some1 elses camera or phone or ipod i get an error saying that the device could not be installed. now if i put the memory card in my computer it works just fine. the error messages i stated earlier are from the device manager drop down list. for some reason my computer wont recognize my camera or any other "portable device" and it used to so i dont know what the deal is.
i looked at those links you sent me and i have already tried that. i have not contacted hp directly over the phone because i can never understand the people because of their heavy accents.

when i first bought my computer i had to replace the harddrive a month or two after i got it because it was faulty. now im having issues with it again.

HP Recommended

katyoung wrote:there is no 1 particular device that is causing the issue. anytime i try to plug in my camera, which is an hp, or some1 elses camera or phone or ipod i get an error saying that the device could not be installed. now if i put the memory card in my computer it works just fine. the error messages i stated earlier are from the device manager drop down list. for some reason my computer wont recognize my camera or any other "portable device" and it used to so i dont know what the deal is. i looked at those links you sent me and i have already tried that. i have not contacted hp directly over the phone because i can never understand the people because of their heavy accents. when i first bought my computer i had to replace the harddrive a month or two after i got it because it was faulty. now im having issues with it again.

Hello katyoung, Sorry that did not work for you. Since you mentioned the system worked fine before, you might try a Windows Restore Point. To do this, go to the Start Orb, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Click on System Restore and  a Window should open that will show a restore point date, Look in the lower left corner and chech the box to reveil more restore points. Select one that seems to be earlier before the issue presented itself, and continue.

The system will reboot and perform the Windows System Restore, and boot back to the desktop. You will see a message that the System Restore was successful or not successful.

If this does not resolve the issue, you may be able to run the sfc /scannow process to replace any Windows files that may be mising or corrupt.

To perform the sfc procedure, go to the Start Orb, and in the run box type cmd and presss the enter key. You should get a black screen with a white blinking cursor. At the cursor type sfc /scannow. Notice the space between the sfc /

This will start the System File Check process. When this completes, just type exit and you should return to the desktop.

Then check and see if the issue has been resolved.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear sir/madam,

WPD Filesystem volume driver is missing in my pc, due to that my HP V165w 8-gb usb drive not detecting by my pc. Kindly suggent and if possible send driver download link.

HP Recommended

HI,

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.

Open Disk Management., Check to see if drive letters are assigned to the portable drives.

If no, assign drive letters and see if that helps.

Jaco

HP Recommended

it worked thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.