Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (569 Views)

processor upgrade for a6863w HP Pavilion

About a month or so ago I inquired about what type of processor would be compatible with my pc.  I have the bios update that allows AM2+ motherboards support for AM3 processors, but I have a question on the type of processor.  The response I got was that I could go up to an AMD phenom II 945 95W processor, but after some searching around I saw that the hyper transports was 4000mhz.  My motherboard is listed at handling a max of 5200M/T's.  So I am sitting here thinking; Is 4000mhz the same as 4000M/T's??

Not sure on what I should purchase, I came across the AMD phenom II 720 triple core 95W  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x3-_-19-103-652-...

My confusion really set in when I saw the newegg listing had 4000mhz hypertransports, yet the microcenter listing has it at 2000mhz / 4000M/T's   http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0316182.

Why the 2 different listings in mhz?  I understand the 5.13 bios update makes my motherboard compatible with the AM3 processors, but I don't want to  purchase one and find out that the hypertransports were too high.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 2 (552 Views)

Re: processor upgrade for a6863w HP Pavilion

Anyone know???  The whole M/T to MHZ thing is kinda cryptic to me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation