Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
Message 1 of 1 (2,100 Views)

"922 - Fatal error on unknown slot" solution

Regarding the xw workstatons, and the xw6400 in particular, we have gone over a different 922 crash error message:  "922 - Fatal error on front side bus" that can arise if one tries to use the fastest HP-certified quad core (the E5345) in a xw6400 motherboard that will not run stable with that in place.  This happens in only about 8-10% of those I have performed that processor upgrade on.

This is another type of 922 error message:  "922 - Fatal error on unknown slot" which I first saw intermittently after installing a PCI slot wireless card into a xw6400 recently.  Some research led to a solution I wanted to share in the forum here.  The workstation has a E5345 quad core running W7Pro 64-bit with my usual upgrade of the AOM and LOM (Audio and LAN On Motherboard) drivers.  I get those from the Z600 HP drivers source for that OS, and those two are universal installers that automatically also work great with the xw6400, 8400, 6600, and 8600 workstations (the older chips are still supported in the driver sets present in those newer 64-bit installers, which is handy to know).

That particular workstation never had any problems until the D-Link PCI-slot wireless card was installed.  Reading up on the error message led to the information that disabling a device in Device Manager is different than "hiding" the device from the motherboard/OS via BIOS.  The latter approach is what I needed, given the deduction that the OS likely was putting out intermittent calls to the Broadcom LOM still sitting active on the motherboard, inducing the crashes.  The D-Link DWL-G520 wireless card, shown below, automatically worked with the present W7 install, and also the driver then updated automatically via Windows Update later.  It has worked very well in an area I could not easily run ethernet cable to:

D-Link DWL-G520.JPG

The procedure to "hide" the Broadcom LAN On Motherboard via BIOS:

F10 into BIOS\ Security tab\ Device Security\ Network Controller\ toggle it from Device available to Device hidden\ F10=Accept\ Save Changes and Exit.

The 922 unknown slot crash problem has not returned.

One needs to remember to unhide that Broadcom LOM in BIOS later if the workstation is moved back to a wired network environment, of course.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation