Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23xw Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone!

So, I have been having trouble with my HP Pavilion 23xw 23-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor. My current setup is my Dell Inspiron 7547 laptop connected to the monitor via HDMI acting as the primary monitor. I also have a PlayStation 4 connected to the monitor's second HDMI port.

When my PlayStation 4 is running at the same time as my computer and I want to switch the input, I get the notification to "Check Video Cable". After this disappears, my computer runs just fine. This is purely irritating to me, but is there any way that I can stop this notification?

The primary issue that I have is occasional screen flickering on my monitor. When I am using my monitor, the screen occasionally goes black for about 5 seconds and comes back on. The length of time between flickers varies every time. I have tried updating my computer's graphic drivers, but it did not solve the problem. I have also tried replacing the HDMI cable, but it did not solve the problem. I have talked to many support agents, but they cannot solve my problem.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try? I would love to be able to fix my issues!

Thanks again!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jdmathews17

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 23xw 23-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor and the primary issue is that the screen flickers at times. The screen will go black for about 5 seconds. Secondly, when you try to switch the input when the Playstation and the computer are running at the same time, there a message to check the video cable. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the screen go black right from the time the monitor was purchased or it started recently?
  • The monitor screen may lose signal while switching inputs but should be normal. But is the time taken to resume the signal too long?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the monitor.
  • PLease disconnect the monitor from the computer and the display station. 
  • Power on the monitor and it should say no input signal detected. This is known as monitor self-test.
  • Observe the display in this mode and check if the screen goes black or if it flickers.

If the issue persists in a self-test then it is a monitor hardware failure and I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options. If te monitor passes the self-test then you may continue with the below steps:

• Please download and install the monitor drivers for Win10 from this link. NOTE: Keep the monitor connected only to the computer while doing this update. 
  • Also, try to connect the monitor to either the computer or the PlayStation and let me know if the display goes black or if it flickers.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

To answer both of your questions, the flickering has been happened since the monitor was purchased, which was September 19, 2016. The time for the signal to resume is about 10-15 seconds each time.

I will try out the steps that you have sent me to see if that solves my problem.

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

I just tried the first set of steps and all that happened was the notifcation to "Check Video Cable". It never did anything else.

I will try out the driver update.

Thank again.

HP Recommended

@jdmathews17

You're welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

I will watch for your response. 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.