Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've downloaded twice, nothing works.

HP Recommended

@TedWaters wrote:

@Cheryl

Yes I did follow the instructions but am repeating them here so that you can understand that the HP Recovery Manager   instructions are not sufficiently explicit - which has been mentioned earlier in this topic.  In summary some HP Customers are finding that neither HPSF.exe nor HP Support Assistant are shown in the list of installed applications (Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features ).
So following the HP Recovery Manager instructions:
Step 4 Look in the Factory installed programs list for the software program you want to reinstall.

• If your software program is listed, select the title.
  • If the program you want to reinstall is not listed, select The program is not in the list , and then click Next . Follow the instructions to reinstall the program

Clicking Next presents a panel headed 'Reinstall at program not factory installed by HP' where the instruction is to:
1.    Uninstall the software.
    a.    Click Next to open Programs and Features
    b.    Select the broken program and the uninstall it
2.    Install the application using the original installations software

Now, as my system is 3 years old I can't remember if it was factory installed.  Either way the recovery is now stalled as, after pressing Next, neither HPSF.exe nor HP Support Assistant were shown in the list of installed applications Smiley Frustrated.
However I then used the your suggested  Microsoft Fixit Remover which successfully found and uninstalled the found version of HP Support Assistant Smiley Happy .
I rebooted and then downloaded and installed the latest version of HP Support Assistant sp58919.exe .  The installation process asked if an existing file should be overwritten -  to which I replied 'Yes to all'.
This proved successful and HP Support Assistant is now installed and working correctly Smiley Very Happy.

Key conclusions / recommendations from this somewhat protracted saga:

• improve the HP Recovery Manager instructions to cover this situation
  • and include a link to the Microsoft Fixit Remover at the appropriate point

It looks like that this is working..

Thanks

HP Recommended

I solved my problem by removing the HP Printer and using another brand.  Tired of the nagging problems.  Thanks to all who advised me but none of them worked for me.

HP Recommended

hi,

am getting exactly the same problem. it seems, HP despite making excellent machines, really do like to clutter them up with totally unnecessary software which continually developes problems and keeps you having to click for updates, scan for drivers and get rid of angst-ridden messages about the impending doom of your machine! HPSF.exe is an example of this OCD like clutter up your machine compulsion that exists with HP.

my solution is simply to uninstall the thing and leave it at that, it's a lousy and unnecessary piece of software, that takes up hd space, memory and ram space. your machine will run better as a result.

best wishes, mark.

HP Recommended

how do i fix it please .  Called up RegCure Pro who said i need to do an immediate clean and have

14431 critical issues but dont know if it is a safe site.  help please.

HP Recommended

Whilst I'm not expert on Registry Cleaners I've used CCleaner, Wise Care 365 and SlimCleaner in the past but these are powerful tools and need to be used with caution - like backing up the Registry before using them.

I'd have a look at CNet and read their reviews before choosing which software package to use.

HP Recommended

thank you for your quick response will try to work out how to do this and hope it works.  i'm less than an expert, a housewife and elderly at that - thanks so much.

HP Recommended
2-28-2013 07:45 PM

thank you for your quick response will try to work out how to do this and hope it works. i'm less than an expert, a housewife and elderly at that - thanks so much.
HP Recommended

hpsf arbeitet nicht mehr

HP Recommended

uninstall it and reinstall it, though in reality, your machine will work just fine if youdidn't reinstall it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.