cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adti Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"...the fan of the hard drive makes a lot of noise..."

qu116aa#aba 4ce1380tdf
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello !   the fan of the hard drive has been making noise for the last x-number of months.  the operating system = genuine windows7 home premium. the product name = qu116aa#aba.  i am sure that it is not an easy forecast in order to know when the fan may die. does any company still support the fan for this equipment ?  should i just buy another computer ?  the model number = p6-2014.  thank you.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
76,868 76,281 9,351 20,214
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't think Hard drive has a fan. It could be CPU fan or the fan of the case (most likely). Can you check to see which one ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
adti Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the fan is inside the entire casing that surrounds the hard drive.  i am not an expert on this subject. it is possibly the fan for the CPU, if THAT is normally how the equipment is built.  it seems to be the fan of the whole unit, in general.

thank you

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,616 11,017 575 1,629
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> the fan is inside the entire casing that surrounds the hard drive.  

I've seen one "high-performance gaming-computer" that has a cage around the disk-drive.

The cage is the width of the disk-drive, and is tall-enough to allow a "stack" 3 disk-drives (although you should not do that, especially in a "gamer" configuration).

The important point is that the cage has a large fan at the "front" of the cage (closest to the front of the computer-case), which pulls air through the front-panel of the case, across the disk-drive, and towards the "back" of the computer-case, for exhausting the warmed-up air.

So, yes, the disk-drive has its own fan.

Of course, the fan has a few wires going down the side of the case, and connecting to the computer's power-supply, to supply electricity to the fan.

But, that fan also has its own adjustment, to increase/decrease the speed of that fan.

So, look closely at all those wires near the "cage".

You'll find the "power" wires to the fan, the "power" connector plugged-in to your disk-drive, and the "data" cable plugged-in to your disk-drive, *AND* you may find that "adjustment" dial, connected to two wires.

Twist the dial, to slow-down the fan, and the noise should decrease.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation