Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adti Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"...turning ON and turning OFF any desk-top console and/or any computer..."

qu116aa#aba 4ce1380tdf
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello !   is it bad if i never turn off a desk-top console, or even a laptop computer, if the equipment is not going to be used for several hours ?  is it bad for a computer if the computer is left in the "turned-on mode" forever, without being turned off, ever ?  i guess that it is necessary to define "bad for the computer".  does the computer wear out faster if it is not turned off and turned on regularly ?  thank you.

2 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1374
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @adti – Hope you are well :)

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I understand you are having questions about whether to leave your computer on or off. I would advise against leaving the computer turned on forever. This is because the computers also heat up when they’re on, and heat is the enemy of all mechanical components. This will, in turn, contribute to computer wearing out faster.

Also, Computer performance generally benefits from an occasional reboot. You can also go through a Windows forum discussion board to understand this well: http://hp.care/2gtVQy9

I hope that answers your concern adequately, and if so, please mark this post as a Solution. Kudos would also be appreciated. 

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 572 1592
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> is it bad if i never turn off a desk-top console, or even a laptop computer, if the equipment is not going to be used for several hours ? 

Do the "power" settings on either computer allow the computer (and the monitor) to go to "sleep" after a period of inactivity?  In that "sleep" mode, it consumes less electricity -- which is good for the environment, and good for your home electrical bill.

I've seen disk-drives that have worked fine for years, and then be turned-off for an extended period of time, and NOT worked when the computer is later powered-on.  So, such "marginal" disk-drives can be a problem.

> is it bad for a computer if the computer is left in the "turned-on mode" forever, without being turned off, ever ? 

Yes.  But, in practise, most computers run Windows Update a few times per month, and need to be rebooted to complete the installation of those updates.  Such a "reboot" is like a "spring-cleaning" -- a fresh boot-up of Windows performs better than a "stale" system.

Also, if you never close your web-browser, and keep surfing to different web-pages, that web-browser uses more and more of the computer's RAM -- launch the Windows "Task Manager", to observe how much RAM is used by 'iexplore.exe' or 'chrome.exe'.  Then, close the web-browser, and all that RAM is "released" for the Operating System to allocate to other programs.

> i guess that it is necessary to define "bad for the computer".  does the computer wear out faster if it is not turned off and turned on regularly ?  

Starting-up a computer really "works" the disk-drive, thus consuming a bit [pun intended] of its total "life-force".

Recommendation: review the "Power Settings", and allow the computer to "sleep", or even "hibernate" or "power-off" after an extended period.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation