cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

recover disk with new hard drive

pavilion 23-p114
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My hard drive recently crashed, so I went and bought a used one from best buy and have been trying to install it with recovery disk that I receive from HP. It would through the process with the first disk and now all i get is this error:

file:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd

info: the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or has an error. 

Can anyone please help me, I have only has this computer for a little over a yr and this is the 4th hard drive. 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bump... anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @redcloud77,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and wanted to reach out to you.

I understand you are trying to reinstall Windows onto a new hard drive using HP recovery media when you get the error.

The specs for your system list that it came with Windows 8.1, is the recovery media you have for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 that you listed above? Are you able to boot into Windows from the recovery disks to perform a repair?

You may want start troubleshooting by following the steps here.

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the Accept as Solution button down below in this message.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Thanks - I work on behalf of HP

redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought the system with windows 10 on it.... Im not sure its what they sent me when it crashed the first time... When i restored it that time it went back to 10.
0 Kudos
redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It does not boot.... It went through the first disk and then i followed the prompt for the second and i got that error
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @redcloud77,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Were you able to go through any of the steps in this document? Depending on how the system reacts when you run through the hard reset or the hardware diagnostics would direct the next steps to take.

If you believe the issue to be with the recovery media, you can use the Microsoft media creation tool

to create a USB or DVD recovery.

Let me know how you make out with this information.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

0 Kudos
redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To be honest I'm pretty new to this so trying to learn... I did that with windows 10 and 8.1 but i put the disk in and i get nothing but a blue error box
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @redcloud77,

What were the results from the hardware testing and other steps while troubleshooting using this document?

If you have tried more than one set of recovery media with the system, you may be looking at an issue with connections or hardware.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
redcloud77
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The quick hd test passes.. Amd the memory passes
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
228 228 19 40
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @redcloud77,

Have you tried putting the old HDD back in or another one to see if you have the same boot issue? As I mentioned previously, this may be a hardware issue, this step would identify if the drive is the fault.

Is the replacement drive being recognized properly in the BIOS?  Have you considered making new recovery media using a USB drive instead of CDs?

If you have received any errors other than the one you originally posted, please let me know what they were and what was being done at the time it appeared so I continue to try assisting.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation