Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

in desperate need of help.........

is there a way to change the size of partition so recovery manager can back up files. I really need to salvage some files on the hard drive before it gets reset.

problem is can not access windows as it will not start.....

dont know what happened as yesterday was working fine then today windows will not start up and get a message that says the following;

file: \windows\system32\config\system

info: windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

is there a saviour out there somewhere.....pleeeeeze

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@craig70

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I recommend the use of a third-party tool known as Minitool Partition Wizard. This is a free partitioning tool and you should download their Boot CD ISO file to a local drive.

You can obtain it from here: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

That said, if you mess with the Recovery partition, most likely, the HP Recovery Manager will not work anymore, as it is very sensitive to changes being made to it.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

>  get a message that says the following;

file: \windows\system32\config\system

info: windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt.

1, Turn your computer off.

2. Turn your computer on, and immediately repeatedly tap the 'F8' key.

3. Windows should display a menu of "repair" choices.

4. Choose "repair".

Windows will ("behind the scenes") run the 'CHKDSK' ("Check Disk") command, to verify/repair the integrity of the file-system on your 'C:' drive.

It's VERY possible that "errors" in your file-system have triggered the error-message that you have reported.

Once those errors have been fixed, your computer should boot successfully.

There is no need to "resize" your disk-drive's partition(s) before doing the above.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response but F8 had no effect at all as the only thing that comes up is Advanced Boot Options and there is no repair to select.     

HP Recommended

> F8 had no effect at all as the only thing that comes up is Advanced Boot Options and there is no repair to select.     

Some models have a different key, e.g., 'ESC' or 'F9' or 'F10' or 'F11' or 'F12'.

Try each of them.

Note that after a few "unsuccessful" reboots, Windows 10 will automatically display the "startup options" screen, from where you can select "repair".

HP Recommended

> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

If that's really the case, i.e., you are not running Windows 8 or Windows 10, boot your computer from the original Windows 7 DVD, and choose "Repair my computer".

That will cause that 'CHKDSK' utility to run.

Or, remove the disk-drive from your computer, and attach it as a "slave" disk-drive in some other Windows 7/8/10 computer.  Then, right-mouse-button click on the icon for the drive-letter that Windows has assigned to this "slave" drive (probably 'E:') and select 'Properties', and then click the 'Tools' tab, and then select 'Check my disk for errors'.

When it completes, shutdown the other computer, remove the "slave" disk-drive, and put it back into your computer, and reboot your computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.