cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alm4hope
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

repartition hp windows 7 hard drive after format

HP Recommended

My July 2009 HP Pavilion dv7 has required "boot-level" recovery and restoration yet a 4th time! However, THIS time, it has failed to successfully reinstall the OS (Originally Vista, OEM Upgrade to Window 7 64-bit)! I have been trying for a week and hate to give up on a nearly 500 Gb GOOD laptop compurer that I KNOW CAN WORK.

I am NOT a techie, but I AM old enough (50) to have experienced taking BASIC DOS in college. Yet, not all commands are accepted. I have to use my Windows Repair Disk to boot up (internal CD drive), my husband's external CD drive for ANY other CD-DVD to be read/recognized by the computer, numerous jumpdrives loaded with Boot Recovery data, a 1.5 Tb external drive WITH copies of the original and upgrade CD, in hopes the OS can access that, since it has trouble with its own internal CD-DVD drive.

I have run dozens of diagnostics, reset the BIOS to default, changed the boot sequence to access the recovery peripherals, I have copied ALL original data from the Recovery drive partition and the X:\Boot partition to the C:\ drive.

When I try to install Windows 7 again, it either runs indefinitely at Stage 2 "Installing Windows" or it give me an error message:  "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information." (Of WHERE I have any idea they are!)

I need SIMPLE, STEP-BY-STEP assistance to restore my HP Pavilion to normal operation, PLEASE!

Thank you for any help you can provide! :womanembarrassed:

Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,230 119,407 19,504 29,804
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the 25 character windows 7 product key to reactivate the installation, I would download the W7 ISO file you need from the link below and then use the Windows 7 ISO to USB/DVD tool which can put the file on a usb flash drive, and it also makes it bootable.

Then you can install directly by booting your PC from the usb port.

Download the applicable ISO file from the links below (Get the file from the W7 SP1 Media Refresh links).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languag...

Use this tool to make the file bootable onto a usb 4 GB flash drive.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

0 Kudos
alm4hope
Author
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In fact, I tried BOTH of these, but once on the laptop, I either do not KNOW what to do or it does not DO what it ought to do! I will try again! We shall see! I would love to know what each sequential step is, once I re-boot my HP Laptop, b/c I can only get it to the Recovery Console. From there, I click through until I can Load Drivers, which is the ONLY place I have UI access to my drives. However, I DO also have the cmd (command prompt) choice, too. At boot level, I have NO idea what to do to get it to install! I am still a bit confused!

However, Thank you! And I will try AGAIN! If nothing, I am STUBBORN (perseverent)!

:womanvery-happy:

Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
alm4hope
Author
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Paul,
I THINK I found the remedy! It was the following:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

We shall see if that works...when that process is completed! I believe THIS is what I was needing, I THINK! I HOPE!

Thanks again,
Audrey
Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
alm4hope
Author
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is what I did:

Bypassing UEFI to Install Win7 normally to an MBR HD
Boot into BIOS setup, if this is a new Win8 PC look for a setting to disable Secure Boot. Then enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module (CSM). This should remove any EFI Boot Disk from BIOS Boot order. Set DVD drive first to boot, HDD second. Then set SATA controller to AHCI. Save changes and Exit.
Then boot into installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.
At first installer screen Press Shift + F10 to open a Command Box, type:
Basically, I started here after geting to the cmd/command prompt:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DIS 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CONVERT MBR
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired) [409600] for my 500 Gb system (allowing for the recovery and boot drives, hopefully!]
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"...this is where I am currently...awaiting completion (approx. 1% per minute--14 percent now).
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT
Next click Install Now to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.
In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.
The purpose of creating the partition above is to wipe the HD and define an Active partition which resolves most install failures. Afterwards you can adjust the OS partition size in Disk Mgmt, create other partitions as desired.

Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
alm4hope
Author
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Excuse me...HERE is the LINK that I used to assist me:

How to Boot to DISKPART at PC Startup:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91339-ssd-hdd-optimize-windows-reinstallation.html

I mean...I could do NOTHING until I performed THESE steps!

:womanlol:

Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,230 119,407 19,504 29,804
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad you were able to get W7 reinstalled.

alm4hope
Author
Level 1
7 6 1 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you!!!!!!! Yay!!!
Cyberfluff
0 Kudos
myheartbroken
3 2 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the market, there is, currently, a trend to use large-size hard drives, you can easily buy a hard drive associated with the computer or a portable drive. However, you are recommended to partition and divide these hard drives into smaller partitions for better management. For example, when a partition is infected with virus, the whole hard drive will be unharmed.

How to partition hard drives on Windows 7
Step 1: Click Start Menu --> type Run keyword in Search Programs and Files section, open Run in Programs.
Run dialogue box opens --> type diskmgmt.msc keyword -->Enter or click OK

Step 2: Disk Management opens, all the available hard drives, including the connected USB devices will be displayed automatically.
To create a new partition from a hard drive, you only need to right click the hard drive that you want to partition and select Shrink Volume

Step 3: A new dialogue box appears and informs about the used and free space of the hard drive. Input the size for the partition which is divided in the Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB box.
Click Shrink

Name the new partition and click OK.
Step 4: After creating a new partition, re-format the new partition.
Right click the new partition -->New Simple Volume

Step 5: Click Next, a dialogue box will display the size of the new partition --> Click Next

Readmore: http://tips.betdownload.com/how-to-partition-hard-drives-on-windows-7-539n.aspx

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation