Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

s5-1554 Dead - power supply?

HP Recommended
pavilion slimline s5-1554
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Computer found dead.  Tried start button, no response.  Followed hp troubleshooting guide: power supply has solid green light, and when paper clip placed across p1-17 and ground, power supply fan came on.  However, when reconnected and push start button absolutely nothing happens.  Once, all fans started to spin up for about one second, but stopped.  Troubleshooting guide says if power supply fan comes on when the p1-17 to ground connected, the power supply should be good, and should then consider motherboard, memory, other causes.  However, I'm skeptical.  My gut still says it is the power supply.  

I have an older computer that died but has a good power supply that wouldn't fit, would it work to connect to see if it would power up just as a test?  Other thoughts before starting to swap out parts as diagnostic?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,925 22,585 2,614 8,912
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Grumpy44, welcome to the forum.

I agree with you that it could be the PSU.  I have heard of PSU's working using the paper clip, but still not being good enough to power the computer.  If you try to use your old PSU make certain that the ATX Power connector is correct.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Connected old psu to test and machine fired right up. Thus, even if the psu has a solid green light and the paper clip jumper procedure gets the fan running on the psu, the psu could still be bad. Ordered replacement, so hopefully will work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,925 22,585 2,614 8,912
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good job!

Signature:
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation