Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (7,646 Views)
Accepted Solution

screen corners fading white

Here are the SPECS

HP TouchSmart IQ800t customized Desktop Computer 25in screen.

• Processor T8400 (2.26GHz, 3MB)
  • • 4GB DDR2-800MHz system memory (2x2048)
  • • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS HD
  • • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive 

Upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Win7 Pro 64-bit over a year ago

The computer was purchased in 2009

Recently I noticed the upper right hand corner and left hand corner of the screen seemed to be fading/blurring. It looks like a faded transparent white is seaping down from the corners. At first I thought it was my over head light causing this, but when I moved the computer out of the light the fading was very apparent. 

I don't believe this is a software or graphics issue. I have updated the NVIDIA graphics card several times due to another issue with the screen blacking out when I play a DVD or downloaded movie---this issue is still unresolved. I think the card just needs to be replaced period.

Back to the screen, my inclination is that I have dirt on the inside of the screen, either that or the screen is going bad? And yes, I have cleaned the screen using a soft cloth and LCD cleaner...the transparent white is on the inside not the outside of the screen. My questions:

Has anyone else encountered this kind of screen fade?

Is there a way to clean the inside of a PC screen like this?

Or is this due to age? And if so can it be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mizzy

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: screen corners fading white

Hello jmiah1,

It sounds like to me the screen is going bad. Usually if the screen comes disconnected the entire screen will turn white. Since it's just the corners this indicates to me that the area has gone bad on the screen. The likely only resolution is a replacement.

View solution in context
Honor Student
Message 2 of 8 (7,522 Views)

This same thing is happening on my Gateway C-140X laptop.

I don't know what the issue is or how to fix it.  If you found an answer to your issue, please reply with info.

Distinguished Professor
Message 3 of 8 (7,484 Views)

Hello jmiah1,

It sounds like to me the screen is going bad. Usually if the screen comes disconnected the entire screen will turn white. Since it's just the corners this indicates to me that the area has gone bad on the screen. The likely only resolution is a replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (7,481 Views)

Thanks for the tip. This was my fear that the screen was going bad. I have noticed some dead spot within the corners, and the white/transparent fade continues to creep down. Guess I need to look for a replacement screen...or weigh the option of just getting a new system altogether. 

Question, how difficult would it be to replace the screen? My computer experience is moderate, and I am unafraid to tear into a PC...but I also don't want to screw up the touchscreen either. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (7,477 Views)

From what I have gathered from my research this is a sign of the screen going bad, just as 'HBZ' suggested. I am debating replacing my screen with a new one.
Distinguished Professor
Message 6 of 8 (7,461 Views)

Replacing a screen isn't the most difficult task, but for a novice it could be a daunting task.

There are a few internal cables and connections that you will need to make sure don't get messed up and / or damaged.

My best recommendation is that you may be able to sell the monitor as parts and then put that money towards a new one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (7,457 Views)

Thanks Mizzy and HardBeatZ.

A PC technician friend of mine at my work agreed with you, HardBeatZ.  That is, he also thinks the screen is going bad, and the fix is to replace the screen.

I've got another issue with the display, too, which he said may indicate a bad inverter.

The screen is running about $50-$60 now, and the inverter about $10.

So, if I decide to replace the screen, I am going to replace the inverter, too.

If I do go ahead with trying to do the repair, I'll need to remove the digitizer from the back of my old screen, and then put it on the new screen.

I found a Gateway service manual online for my C-140X convertible tablet, which has instructions for how to replace the screen.  That should help.  It doesn't include instructions for how to remove the digitizer from the old screen or put that on the new screen, so I am hoping I can figure that out if I go ahead with the work.

Good luck with your screen replacement, Mizzy, if you decide to go for it.

Jeremiah

Distinguished Professor
Message 8 of 8 (7,451 Views)

You'll have to keep us updated on how the repair goes jmiah1. I've always been weary of doing that type of work myself as I tend to be worried I'm going to cause more damage than there is already, but i think in your case it's a win if you get it working, but not much of a loss if you don't.

- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation