Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
envy 750-427c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an HP envy 750-427c.  I wanted additional storage to migrate my old failing HP laptop.  I ended up havein to reinstall windows from scratch (my bad) but now I have a clean install when I add the second drive it sees it as a USB removable media device.  I have gone through the whole exercise of MBR to GTB configuration.  The BIOS sees the drive fine  but windows will only show C drive and the drive manager shows it as removable media.  When I move the drive to an external dock on my laptop it sees it fine, I can format and partition the drive without a problem.  I will add some screen shots since I am writing this on my lap top not desktop machine.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hopfully these images help. 

HP Recommended

Hi, a bit more information about the new hard drive might prove helpful - make, model etc.

In the meantime, disconnect the SATA cable from the DVD drive (remove the cable from the DVD end and NOT the motherboard) and connect this to the new hard drive and see if this works...

HP Recommended

I Thought I had added these screen shot but I didn't, operator error.   The drives are the orginal HD that comes with the desk top and I added an HGST deskstarnas 4T 7500rpm with 128 MB cash.  I did swap the SATA cable and  the result is the same.  I guess the gbt format really threw me it has been some time since I tried to add to a system and I have some catch up to do. Thank you for the reply.  Hope this info sheds some light. disk managment.pngdevice manager.pngcmd.png

HP Recommended

Can you remove the new drive, reboot and then repost screenshots of diskpart and disk manager?

Have you run the Hitachi diagnostics?

Also, have you tried the drive on either another computer or the same computer that is running a currently supported version of Windows?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.