Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (1,783 Views)

separate monitor driver?

i have a tv that i use as my monitor.  i have been using it for years on my old computer, but it didnt' work on my new hp slimline desktop.  after HOURS on the phone with support, it was determined that vista needs to be first booted up with a regular monitor, then going fwd it would be able to see my tv as the digital output. 

i borrowed a monitor and the video signal worked.  i set up the computer and then transferred video direct to the tv (while the computer was still on), and it worked fine.

i then tried to reboot the computer with the dvi cable hooked up to the tv, and got nothing.  i'm back on the borrowed monitor again, and HP support is USELESS over the phone.

do i need a separate driver or something?

PLEASE HELP.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 5 (1,768 Views)

Re: separate monitor driver?

I never used a tv as a monitor before but technically it should work. When the lcd is connected the pc will use a generic pnp monitor driver and the same should be for the tv. You can't install drivers without using the screen to see what you're doing. What tv do you have? What brand name and model?
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (1,758 Views)

thanks.  it was working fine with my old computer, so i know it's possible.  i just want to know why it wont work with my new HP, and what i can do about it.

i have a no-name brand tv that i bot from compusa: Norwood Micro, 23".  i am using a dvi cable to connect it.

thanks
Associate Professor
Message 4 of 5 (1,728 Views)

I looked up the tv's specs and it say it's plug and play.

So it should work fine in my opinion.

• PC Input Features:
  • Plug and Play
  • 31.5 - 60 KHz horizontal scanning frequency
  • 56 - 75 Hz vertical scanning frequency
  • 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz resolutions (recommended)
  • 720P, 1080i HDTV Ready via DVI

Student
Message 5 of 5 (188 Views)

last ubdide Generic PnP Monitor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation