Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MariaLynn2002 Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

static electricity problem??? windows not booting up on start up.

hello, i was wondering if someone can help me

i  have an IQ775 hp touchsmart, the extended warranty expires in a few days, on the 15th.

for the past 2 weeks, windows will not boot up when i turn on the computer.  i have to turn it off and on several times before it 'kicks in' .....it just sits there with a black screen. i can hear it turn on and start to work, then nothing.  it just doesnt seem like its connecting.

so i have to turn it off and on several times, then it kicks in

i called office depot, with whom i have the extended warranty, and the tech told me it was a static electricity buildup... the computer will work when i turn it off and hold in the 'on/standby' button for a few seconds, then it boots right up when i turn it back on.  he told me to do this for 2 minutes to clean out all the static electricity, however, it is still happening every day when i turn the computer on.

i asked him if this problem was any indication that something else was going bad, like the hard drive, or something like that, but he says its static electricity

does anyone have any experience with this problem, and if so, how did you solve it

thanks!

maria

17 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
93 1 11
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recommend you perform Power Drain, to make sure that static electricity is not the reason for your PC not booting.

Power drain

1. Shutdown the PC,  and disconnect all the cables from the PC including Internet/network and power cable. 2. Disconnect all the peripherals. Disconnect the mouse and the keyboard as well. 3. Press the “Power Button” on the CPU front panel for about 7 seconds, it will drain all the static electricity stored in the PC. 4. Reconnect only the mouse and the keyboard along with power  cable and restart the PC.

This will help you to isolate if there is any peripheral device that is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
MariaLynn2002 Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANK YOU for the advice!

i will try it and report back...

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
430 20 106
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maria,

If this doesn't get resolved for you  - I would take this in the first opportunity to who sold you the extended warranty, PRIOR to it expiring...  Having called it in before it expiring may or may not be taken into consideration...

-dm (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
0 Kudos
birdylo Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This just happened to me.  For the past few months, I've occasionally gotten a black screen with a "disk needs to be checked" error message on boot-up.  Then the computer runs through the "check" and boots up normally.  I figured that this was just part of HP's updates.

This morning the black screen froze with the "disk needs to be checked" message.  I tried to reboot twice and it got to the same screen.  Then I called tech support.  The lady told me about the static electricity that builds up. She had me unplug EVERYTHING (even the power cord), and press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.  Then I reconnected the power cord, keyboard and mouse and turned the computer on.  It booted up perfectly and installed some new drivers (???).  I then reconnected my Ethernet and printer and was back in business.

I have a TouchSmart 300-1020 that I purchased the end of Feb. 2010.  Does anyone know if this "static electricity" problem is specific to the TouchSmart? 

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
895 38 72
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

birdylo wrote:I have a TouchSmart 300-1020 that I purchased the end of Feb. 2010.  Does anyone know if this "static electricity" problem is specific to the TouchSmart? 
There is no such thing as a "static electricity problem" as described in this thread, it does not "build up" or need to "be released"
Diane
0 Kudos
birdylo Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Diane, I agree that this sounded weird to me, but that was what HP's phone support person told me that it was.  And the fix worked--for how long, I'm not sure.

What is your thought?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
430 20 106
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are no static problems that I know of - with any of the touchsmart or desktop PCs we currently support.   I find this statement hard to believe... Perhaps a coincidence...   I do talk with the support center leads periodically - and have not heard of anything like this...

-dm (a long-time HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
PhD Student
PhD Student
895 38 72
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

birdylo wrote:

Diane, I agree that this sounded weird to me, but that was what HP's phone support person told me that it was.  And the fix worked--for how long, I'm not sure.

What is your thought?

My thought? they're smoking or drinking something, (and more important, not sharing)

It's complete BS, no idea what made them say it, unless somehow they were unclear in how to say it and it came out wrong because English is not their primary language.

Are there issues that can be helped by unplugging everything for 5 minutes? yes, is it related to static or static electricity? no..

Diane

0 Kudos
birdylo Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate the input from both dianebrat and sumsolstice.  You are obviously knowledgable and your comments are very helpful to me. 

What are your thoughts on the second post in this thread: Blue_Brain's "Power Drain" maneuver?  This is the exact prodecure the HP support person had me perform.  Blue_Brain also used the forbidden words, "static electricity."

I love this TouchSmart computer and just want to keep it happy and healthy for as long as possible. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation