cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
rbpbanaitis
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the screen on my a1720n pavilion goes black with a warning about video settings

After starting normally, the computer will go to a black screen and a warning message will scroll across the screen that the video display is not set properly and recommends a setting.  I have done all of the self tests available on my Vista home premium help resources and find no problems with hardware.  Many have told me it was my video card so I bought one which I installed in the PCI Express slot on the mother board.  The system started up OK but after about 6 hours of operation the screen went black and the same alert about video setting scrolled on the screen.  I tried to do a full virus scan and the computer screen went black and etc. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 17
Level 17
46,546 40,809 4,425 11,528
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you install a PCI-E card that requires a six-pin power connector without upgrading the PSU?

What is the brand and model of the video card that you installed?

regards,

erico

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
Please accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.

You can say thanks for my response by clicking on the blue thumbs up.

Take a moment of your time, as we volunteers have done, by returning to your thread to let us know if we helped you or not.
0 Kudos
Level 10
4,494 4,482 314 1,464
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rbpbanaitis wrote: After starting normally, the computer will go to a black screen and a warning message will scroll across the screen that the video display is not set properly and recommends a setting.  I have done all of the self tests available on my Vista home premium help resources and find no problems with hardware.  Many have told me it was my video card so I bought one which I installed in the PCI Express slot on the mother board.  The system started up OK but after about 6 hours of operation the screen went black and the same alert about video setting scrolled on the screen.  I tried to do a full virus scan and the computer screen went black and etc. 

Hello rbpbanaitis, I checked the specifications for the power supply shipped in your system, that can be found  Here , and it shows the system shipped with a 250 watt power supply. Look in the list of model numbers that use the power supply in the linked site.

Since you mentioned you replaced the video card, most newer video cards require a 400 watt power supply or greater.

I'm not quite sure why the original error started, but the onboard video device could have become faulty or the drivers for this device could have become corrupted.

You might take a look at the power supply requirement for your new video card and see if they are higher than the current power supply capacity. If so, you might need to consider a power supply upgrade to meet the specifications for the new video card.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation