Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 21 h013w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can see the touch feedback, but it does not select anything and though the context box shows up on a long press, it does not show a context menu.

There seemed to be a minor problem with the touchscreen before I upgraded the PC to Windows 10, but this problem didn't start until after the upgrade

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @ws62003,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the touchscreen stopped working after you upgraded to windows 10, don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should resolve your concern:

First, let's start with performing a hard reset to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue:

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

Second, enable the touch screen driver in Device Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Expand the Human Interface Devices heading.

3. The touch screen device is labeled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touch screen device.

4. If the option to enable the device is included in the menu, click Enable.

If the Enable option does not appear in the menu, continue to the next step:

1. Reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager

2. Install Windows updates

3. Update the BIOS and graphics driver

4. Configure the touch display

5. Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

6. Adjust the power management settings for your touch screen

7. Reset your computer

8. Perform a Microsoft System Restore

9. Perform an HP System Recovery

Click here to know: How to perform each step.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, no luck after following all instructions. The only thing I didn't try was updating the BIOS firmware since the device is showing up (after selecting "show hidden devices") as working. I did try disabling/enabling and reinstalling the device. Any other suggestions? 

Again the problem is that despite the feedback indicators showing on the screen where I press, including the context menu box on a long press, the actual context menu does not display and I am not able to select or open any items with a touch or press to the screen.

Thanks for your assistance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.