cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
G_L Top Student
Top Student
4 3 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

uninstall HP Encryption app

OfficePro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When setting up my new desktop I installed the HP Encryption app - not that I needed it but that seems where the instructions led me. Now when trying to download/install W10 updates I get message that I need to uninstall the encryption app. I follow the instructions as best I can (Note: generational problem - grey hair and no grandson available) but I cannot get it to uninstall. What do I do now?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
803 779 66 160
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Since you have not mentioned the model name of the PC that you own, I can suggest 2 options.

1: If you are running a Business model PC (notebook: elitebook, probook)

Your PC would have a program called HP Client Security Manager - You would need to remove it from Programs and Features.

Programs and Features can be found in the control Panel.

2: If you are running a Consumer model PC (Pavillion, Omen, Envy)

Your PC would have an application called HP Simple pass. Remove it.

Now, if you are unsure what pc you own, You can still go to the Programs and Features  found in the control Panel.

Look on the top right corner of the screen for a Search box. Type "HP" in it.

You will now see all the HP software on it.

Post the names here and we can tell what to do next.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

G_L Top Student
Top Student
4 3 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Correction to original post - as I noted there are grey-hair generational issues in understanding how/what to do when something doesn't work - computer model is HP EliteDeks 705 G2 SF.

Re redlofredlof suggestion:

When trying to uninstall HP CS Mananger it says I need to disable the Encryption program. But when I try to open the CS Manager I get a Verify Identity screen with instructions to authenticate using the "credentials specified below" - but the screen below is blank.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
803 779 66 160
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP CSM can be uninstalled only after you remove the add-ons that it comes along with. I missed that part.

If you haven't encrypted your PC's hard Drive, all you need to do is remove the add-ons like drive encryption, device access manager and so on.

The uninstall process of HP CSM give you a list of programs that need to go before it can be removed from the PC.

Now, if your PC hard Drive is indeed encrypted and you are not able to get inside the HP CSm with the windows password or the fingerprint, you might be in a bit of trouble. But lets first try to get rid of hp drive encryption add-on from programs and features.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
G_L Top Student
Top Student
4 3 1 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I thnk I must have encrypted the hard drive - as indicated in previous message, I cannot get into the CSM to see a list of programs or add-ons.

From your previous post:

1) From Control Panel if I search on HP, it only shows HP CSM. If I click that it shows a screen "Verify Your Identify" Authenticate using credentials specified below -- but screen below is blank.

2) When I try to uninstall CSM it says I must first uninstall HP Drive Encryption

3) When I try to uninstall DE it says DE must be disabled from CSM - but as I have indicated, I am not being allowed to get into CSM

I am in some sort of Catch-22 here and do not know what to try next.

0 Kudos
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
803 779 66 160
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Do you get a page at the startup of windows that asks you to enter the drive encryption password?

This page usually has a winMagic logo at the bottom right corner of the screen.

What I would suggest is to re-install hp CSM on the already installed version. Update it.

If a system file has gone corrupt then it may get fixed.

Always remember, when the installer asks to remove user settings, do not remove them when Drive encryption is involved.

If you are not concerned about losing data, you can also use the option of Disk Sanitizer. (Basically erase everything)

And after that you can just clean install any OS that is supported on the notebook.

G_L Top Student
Top Student
4 3 1 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hurrah! Your suggestion to re-install CSM did the trick. I have been able to unistall the HP encryption app and decrypt the hard drive. That now allows the Windows 10 update feature to operate. Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation