cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

upgrade graphics in my HPE h8-1110t?

HP Recommended

just got a brand new hp pavillion h8t HPE

intel core i5 2500

8gb of ram.

and sillly me... didn't read much up on my graphics card choice. an nvidia gt 530.

i'm interested in getting something capable of runing bf3

my question is.

is it possible to keep the graphics card in there and get a faster one and run it SLI next to the one already installed.

or... just swap it out for something faster altogether...

not very familiar with SLI does it have to be two of the exact same card for it to work?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,445 41,692 4,561 12,045
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@killerskincanoe wrote:

just got a brand new hp pavillion h8t HPE

intel core i5 2500

8gb of ram.

and sillly me... didn't read much up on my graphics card choice. an nvidia gt 530.

i'm interested in getting something capable of runing bf3

my question is.

is it possible to keep the graphics card in there and get a faster one and run it SLI next to the one already installed. A general requirement for SLI is that the motherboard must be SLI capable. Very few motherboards in manufactured PCs are.  Motherboards like my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula are.

or... just swap it out for something faster altogether...  Swap it out.

not very familiar with SLI does it have to be two of the exact same card for it to work?

Which HPE h8-1XXXt model do you have?

HPE.GIF

PLease identify it correctly. Open the HP Support Assistant and take a look at the bottom of the first window for the product name.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it would be the HPE h8-1110t CTO desktop pc

is there somewhere that would list what kind of mobo is in this thing?

edit : found that info here

so it looks like i can use pretty much any pci express 2.0 x16 graphics card. i think i'll be going with the nvidia gtx 570 and a larger 750w power supply to support it

anyone see any problems with that? before i go ahead and pull the trigger on this new card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
28,006 27,540 1,810 5,046
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Killerskincanoe,

I don't see a problem with the video but your might want to open up your PC and do some measuring in parallel with the PCI-E x16 slot to see how long of a video card will fit. The slot adjacent to the PCI-E x16 slot needs to be vacant.

I do see a potential problem with a 750 watt power supply.  I have seen cases where PSUs over 650 watts didn't work in HP PCs.  I am using a Corsair HX650 in my e9280t and it is more than sufficient to power the NVIDIA 570 which requires a 550 watt psu with 38 amps on the +12 bus.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,445 41,692 4,561 12,045
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Depending on which CPU is installed there were two motherboards that could be installed in your PC case.

Hibiscus motherboard for AMD Liano quad and dual core cpus.

Chicago motherboard

They are physically almost identical. The possible limitation for a video card would be the height of the passive Southbridge cooler.If the passive cooler is no higher than the PCIe - X16 slot than the fit should be not a problem.A double width video card will fit over the PCIe -x1 slot with no issue.

As Big_Dave stated, a PSU larger than 650 Watts would be a bit of overkill and may not fit in the case.

Best regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
17 10 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have seen cases where PSUs over 650 watts didn't work in HP PCs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't See any problems upgrading but your power supply is only 300Watt and generally you need something at least 400Watts with 20A on the +12V rail. for a good card. I recommend the Rosewil 630W because it is the same size as your stock PS and runs 50Amps on the +12 Rail. Find it at Newegg ($50) then you can throw any video card you can afford into it. It should handle any games at at least the medium to high settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

good to know about the  Rosewil 630W thx for that tip.

curious if ya'll think this thing will bottleneck bad if i try putting a gtx 660 in here... ? being that i've only got the pci x16 and it's a pci 3.0 x16 card.... 

the 660 just looks to be exactly what i want out of a card. 

just don't want to buy it and have it not work on this mobo or have some serious bottleneck where i'm only getting 1/3 of the cards performance b/c of my mobo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still dragging my feet on making this graphics card purchase. And from all my reading across the web I still haven't seen a test that show's what kind of performance degredation i'll experinece with a PCI-e 3.0 CARD In a PCI-e 1.0 SLOT ... not sure if it's worth it. i've read where many say you won't notice the performance decrease. and i'd like to agree with that. but when 300$ or more is on the line I'd like some real world proof. Anywho i'm still leaning towards a GTx 660TI PE from MSI and a 630-650w PSU for my H8t .... 

tax returns right around the corner and i'm not holding back this time. gonna get the card and post some before and after benchmarks. 🙂 wish me luck. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
28,006 27,540 1,810 5,046
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi killerskincanoe,

It appears that your benchmark of a NVIDIA 660 between a PCI-E x16 3.0 and PCI-E x16 1.0 is going to be an apple to oranges test. The system with the PCI-E 3.0 slot is going to be totally different compared to an older system with a PCI-E 1.0 slot. Even if you could get all of the system compondents to be exacty the same (this is nearly impossible to do), I would be surprised if there is more than a 15% improvement.  I have seen some very high end PC benchmarks between 2.0 and 3.0 that indicated a 7-10% difference.

If the bios had an option to allow the PCI-E x16 slot to be run in 3.0, 2.0, and 1.0 standards then you might be able to get an accurate benchmark provided that you have the proper benchmarking application software.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation