cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rickthecurler Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

upgrade video card

Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to add an nvidia quadro card to the system, but there are no available power plug-ins available from the power supply.  What are my options?

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
16078 16022 1490 3562
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

upgrade video card

rickthecurler

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer depends entirely on what kind of power connector the video card requires -- and what kind of connectors your power supply has.

The older cards often used a 4-pin connector known as a Molex and the solution there would have been to get power Y-cable that splits the 4-wire power lead into two, so you can have a second power connector.

But the newer cards tend to use 6-pin, or even 8-pin, connectors and if your power supply does not have a lead with that connector, you are out of luck.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
rickthecurler Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

upgrade video card

it's a 6-pin and I was pretty sure that would be the answer, but thanks for the reply so promptly.  I'll just have to find a different video card that's not so demanding.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
740 739 90 157
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

upgrade video card

HI.

If this is your CPU format, which gives you very limited, compatible graphics would be low profile or half height, it is recommended to change power supply:

-MSI GeForce GT 720 12 API
-MSI GeForce GT 730

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Rxh9TW,ZJ7CmG/

You should always know that HP / BIOS motherboards are known to have problems with cards that are not in their vendor list. Many of the graphics are not recognized by UEFI BIOS and must be changed UEFI BIOS inherited to be recognized, some graphics count With button to be changed manually.

PC ultrafino HP Compaq Elite 8300

It is always good to know where to buy, in case you have problems at the time of being recognized and thus able to return it without problems.

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation