Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 4 (670 Views)

w2207 Monitor

I have the monitor connected via a USB 2.0 VGA adapter to an HP EliteBook 8460p and via a DVI cable to a DIsplay Port Adapter on a MacBook Air (MBA). If the EliteBook is on, I can easily switch back and forth and all is good. If I turn the EliteBook off, the MBA attempts to connect, but the monitor goes to sleep. If I hit the menu button, the power light turns blue and about one out of five times the MBA will connect. I suspect there is some sort of a sensing relay in the monitor that is not detecting the input properly. I'm afraid the constant attempts by the MBA to connect may cause a problem with the MBA.

Every once in a while, when the EliteBook is connected, when I switch to the MBA it says the display resolution is not supported. However, if I try it again it will connect.

Is this a hardware failure or is there something anyone can think of that might help.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 4 (650 Views)

Re: w2207 Monitor

Check the solution in this case:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/How-to-have-zr2740w-running-at-higher-reso...

HTH
V.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (541 Views)

Re: w2207 Monitor (on MacBook Air)

I have a similar issue with my 2012 MacBook Air and the W2207 monitor. When I connect the monitor to the Air, often it will not properly recognize and the monitor will go to sleep instead of going into extended desktop mode instead. I have tried both the Apple mini displayport -> DVI as well as a generic mini displayport -> DVI adapter and it's the same behavior on both.  I suspect that this has something to do with the way the W2207 is built (connecting a DVI monitor via mini displayport was not popular when this monitor was released). 

There is, however, a workaround for me that works 100% of the time if I do things in the right order:

1. Turn on/wake up MacBook Air while the monitor is not plugged in.

2. Turn on the W2207.

3. Within about 5 seconds of turning on the W2207, plug it into the MacBook Air. It will recognize properly if you plug it in before it turns itself to sleep.

This is a pain to do, and it also means I have to unplug and replug the monitor into my Air every time I wake up the computer, but at least it's consistent.

Tutor
Message 4 of 4 (496 Views)

Re: w2207 Monitor

The solution in the post you link to is referring to a monitor which has displayport.  W2207 is DVI and VGA only. Definitely do not want to go down to VGA quality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation