Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
theDeep Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what Video Card upgrades are possible for Pavilion h8-1030?

Pavilion h8-1030
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The video card in my Pavilion h8-1030 died and I need to find a replacement. If possible, I'd like to upgrade the card at the same time to the best possible card that would work on this system, within on total $350 budget.

Being overly optimistic and with a big dose of wishful thinking I had actually ordered a MSO GeForce GTX 970 , but before it arrived I read that it will not work as teh BIOS version cannot be upgraded to version 8. So I am sending that card back as soon as it arrives.

I am unable to buy a whole new computer at this time, so I'm going to have to settle for a new GPU (and PSU if needed).

I don't game but I do use Adobe CC 2015 applications, mostly photoshop adn lightroom but ocasionally also premiere and in-design. Before failing the old card was struggling with certian photoshop functions and video editing was slow and frustrating. This is why I would like to upgrade the GPU.

Motherboard H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Memory 10 GB

BIOS, American Megatrends Inc. 6.12

Is there a list of compatible GPUs?

Thank you ever so much for your help.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5026
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The version 6 BIOS in your PC is not compatible with many of the newer graphics cards.  You will need to use an older legacy graphics card in your PC.  The processor and memory in your PC are more than sufficient for most use.

I suggest that you look for a NVIDIA GTX 660 for around $226 new on Amazon. You can find the GTX 660 on eBAY for a lot less.  You will also need to replace the power supply. The Corsair CX650m should be around $55 after rebate.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
20_lb_doorstop Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you sure that a new power supply is required with a regular GTX 660 on this computer? The card I just ordered shows a power supply recommendation of 450w, and I think my h8-1030 has a 460w supply.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation