cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TNMTNGAL Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 41 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

what, if anyting, does pressing the windows flag key and the "r" key do?

I have been receiving these calls for 3 months now. I finally figured out a way to get them to stop! Answer the phone with...
"Carter County Sheriffs Department, where's your emergency "!!!!!!! 😂
0 Kudos
Jmchiaradio Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 42 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Same call here this morning. Indian accent. I played along feeling like I was getting scammed right from the get go. After 5 minutes or so of telling the caller i was doing what he said (but really was doing nothing), he became agitated and raised his voice in an angry tone. I laughed and hung up. 30 seconds later, he called back yelling and screaming.  LOL.  Suuuure your name is BOB.  Scammers!  

0 Kudos
AprilMom Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 43 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So basically the same thing happened to me today but I called them (crafty buggers, somehow I got a browser page I couldn't get rid of saying to call them for support). When I called they asked me to push windows plus R and then type www. Remote me which brought up a screen and to type in a number they gave me and click connect to technician. Then a prompt popped up and he said to click RUN, this is where it for suspicious I said no I'd let my husband work on it and hung up. Now I'm freaking out. Has someone gained access or anything or did I not go far enough? I ran Windows Defender and nothing came up but so nervous! I also looked at any new apps installed by date and only one had today's dats it was Microsoft Visual C++ so I uninstalled that not knowing what it was. Waiting to talk to my techie husband but am sick over this. Any insight would be great thanks!
0 Kudos
AprilMom Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 44 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Also turn d off computer just in case
0 Kudos
Thomas2121 Student
Student
2 1 0 0
Message 45 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK so same dude just called me 2 mins ago i looked it up and nothing but you comment showd up.. so i played along i knew he was bull**bleep**ing me so i never actually pushed those buttons.. but he told me to read to him what it said and i got him to notice that im not doing anything he tells me to do! He got mad and said, "do you think your smarter than me"? I said thar depends to you really think im going to fall for your **bleep**? He replyed and said "you mother **bleep**er" and he hung up on me! Well somebody Arrest this man, he is probably up to now good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Cljohnson95 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 46 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

He told me to do the same thing but I didn't do it, I just told him I did then I messed with him a bit then let him listen to some Shania Twain lol if they call you with a restricted number or something it's usually a scammer and if they are going to try and waste my time and are getting innocent people's money I will waste their time
0 Kudos
Highlighted
GreenJean Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 47 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I realize this forum is a few years old, but I had a call exactly like this. The only twist to my story is that we only had macs at the time. Of course, the guy said, "we are from windows, and we have reports of a security glitch (or something like that, I can't remember) with windows 7" I just kept stringing him along, (I couldn't understand half of what he was saying anyway...!) until a few minutes later, I said, "You know what, I don't have a windows PC except for an old XP laptop from 2002!" He hung up.

My advice? Don't trust suspicious phone calls from people you can't understand. Also (as many other people have said already), the IT people don't call you, it's the other way around. The best thing to do is just waste their time (if you're smart about it!) so they don't harm somebody else. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation