Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Upon waking my computer up today, there was a white box that came up that said the following:

The instruction at 0x00000234C209144C referenced memory at 0x0000000000000004. The memory could not be written.  Click ok to terminate.

I also had a box stating that my memory was full.

What does the first box mean and How do I fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@tracymarion

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP computer and it gave a message stating "The instruction at 0x00000234C209144C referenced memory at 0x0000000000000004. The memory could not be written.  Click ok to terminate. " Also, there was box message saying the memory was full.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the computer after which this issue may have started.  Also, please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• If the computer has not booted to Windows screen then please press and hold the power button until it powers off.
  • Disconnect all cables (including power cable) from the computer. Remove the battery also if it is a laptop.
  • Now press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Power on the computer and check the performance. 

If the error continues to appear then let us perform a hardware test on the memory:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component test.

List of the Component tests

• Please run a test on the memory and the hard drive one by one. 

Feel free to let me know the outcome. I will wait for your response. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
It is an HP Pavilion 500-336 pc. I am booting it up now. I haven't had this error again since the last time.
HP Recommended

@tracymarion

Thanks for the PC model no. I suggest you to continue to use your PC and if possible repeat the same thing what it was doing last when the error occurred. I will keep this case open, Meanwhile you may refer to this link for any assistance: http://hp.care/2kevXXo

Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for your help
HP Recommended

@tracymarion

Sure. Keep me posted. 🙂

HP Recommended
So it has done it again. I ran the test as you suggested and it did it again. I think it has to do with the log in screen. So I changed the theme of my computer in the display settings and it seems to be ok for now. I will let you know if it happens again
HP Recommended

@tracymarion

Thanks again for replying. 🙂

Glad to know that changing the theme helped. Hope this simple step makes a big difference and works well. 

I will keep this case open until your next reply. Please feel free to reply. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.