cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WisteriaSky
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

win7 install from a copy of recovery partition?

I just bought an HP G5135uk Desktop PC for my daughter, but she wants me to downgrade it to winxp from win7 for her. From what I understand, the only way to save and install the win7 system later (on this or any of my other pcs) is to burn discs from the recovery partition. I don't want to lose the system as it was a part of the price, but don't have any dvd-r at the moment, so was wondering if simply copying the recovery partition completely to my back up drive (on our network) might work until I can pick up some discs? I would also just leave that partition in place anyway, not format, just install xp to the system partition.

Any tips or problems to watch out for appreciated. Also, hopefully the drivers will work or I can replace them with versions meant for xp (downloaded all the drivers for this machine already as backup).

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 17
Level 17
44,683 38,140 3,339 14,031
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Save yourself a lot of grief and burn the Recovery DVD set. Usually only takes 2-3 dvds.I have found that Sony DVD+R works best for me having several HP machines in the family.

Copying the partition seldom works.I tried it (again) just recently on a laptop hdd that was failing where the owner hadn't made a Recovery set...did not work. Imaging software to create an exact copy would be the best chance at getting it to work by restoring the image to the hdd_but that seldom works either.

Btw,the machine has Intel G41 Chipset and a SATA hdd so you will have to change controller from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS setup to allow XP to install. XP does not have SATA drivers. Or you can slipstream the SATA drivers using nLite and burn a new XP cd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Level 17
Level 17
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Intel G41 Express Chipset Software & Graphics:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-028823.htm

Realtek HD Audio_Choose High Definition Audio Codecs,accept agreement, then get the "Executable" file:

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTyp...

Realtek RTL8103E LAN:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

0 Kudos
WisteriaSky
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the links and info. I got the back up dvds done, so ok there, but got stuck on the xp install at the confirm install stage as keyboard stops responding and I can't hit enter to say yes install the bugger. Reading what you wrote here I guess this is the problem?

"Btw,the machine has Intel G41 Chipset and a SATA hdd so you will have to change controller from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS setup to allow XP to install. XP does not have SATA drivers. Or you can slipstream the SATA drivers using nLite and burn a new XP cd."

I consider myself fairly capable on techy stuff usually, but maybe this one is beyond me. I went into bios, but could not find anything anywhere at all about either AHCI or IDE, there was just enable or disable SATA contoller.

I don't know what nLite is, though intend to google it, and don't know how to 'slipstream', if you have any ideas to help me I guess assume you are talking to a noob to be safe 🙂

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,699 9,695 910 2,648
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I do not have an HP that has the mode for IDE in the BIOS, so CherylG's advice will have to do for that input.   But  when the install asks for the driver for SATA is when you press F6.  It may be worded slightly different like "SCSI" drivers, I cannot remember the wording but you will see the choice when the SETUP is running, close to the begining.  Now the problem with newer desktops is there are no floppy drives and XP Setup wants a floppy for those drivers.  That is why CherylG suggested nLite to slip the drivers onto the WinXP install CD.  Sooooooooooo, you have a choice.  Bite the bullet and learn about how to do it with nLite or find a USB floppy drive for the install.  It just has to be there for the drivers and then it can be done with.  Since your motherboard does not have a floppy port, a USB floppy must do.  Actually nLite is easy.  See here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
WisteriaSky
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks again, no problem biting the bullit and leaning something new, and the link you gave to the 'how to' is very noob friendly. So off to download nlite and try to find the correct sata drivers to insert. Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You could download the SATA driver for XP HERE Extract it to a folder using 7Zip, then slipstream it into XP files with nLite and burn a new XP cd. Guide HERE Actually super easy.

0 Kudos
WisteriaSky
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

There is light at the end of the tunnel :generic: The nLite is dead easy to use, wish I had done this ages ago, as I also integreted sp3 to avoid that download in future lol. I made the disk ok, only accidentially used my xp pro instead of xp home, but no matter, got a few errors on install but the main thing is it did install! My only worry now is the drivers like the lan controller, audio, graphics etc, as the original drivers (saved to a disk already) were for the win7 64 bit system, so still not really sure I have the right ones to use now with the xp 32bit system as even from the links given it isn't clear really which drivers I need (the chipset page wants to run a scanner for me but I don't need it for my system).  Time  will tell and I will post again later to let you know if it was a success or failure, but I suspect she will now have her old familiar xp again.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Intel G41 Chipset Software direct link>>

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

Realtek HD Audio_Choose High Definition Audio Codecs,accept agreement, then get the "Executable" file:

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTyp...

Realtek RTL8103E LAN:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

Once you have internet access on the machine, do the scan at Intel for latest graphics driver:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

0 Kudos
WisteriaSky
6 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I will mark this one solved, as the initial question sure is plus follow on ones. I found the drivers for xp, and have the system working now. I have one new question though, and think I will pos it as a new thread for clarity. Thanks all.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation